AVIC411.com

Looking at gettign the Z2 or the D3 - would like some feedb

All,

I am looking at purchasing either a D3 or a Z2 in the next few weeks. I would like to understand what I am getting in the Z2 that is not in the D3 for the extra $1000 that I would need to spend. Also features such as Ipod and Phone are very important to me. I was unable to find a phone list for the Z2, only the Z1. Has any one gotten the Cingular 8700c or the Verizon 8703 to sync phone books and work well in general with either unit.

Yoru feed back in greatly appreciated

Kevin

Z1 and Z2 use the same bluetooth module so phone pairing and functionality should be pretty close between the 2. The rest of the differences that I can recall are:

Z1/2 does text to speach, D3 doesn't

Z1/2 Harddrive based navi, D3 dvd based with memory mode

Z1/2 ipod interface doesn't transfer video, D3 does

D3 ipod interface is faster

I personally like the D3's bluetooth setup better than the Z1/2

Z1/2 7inch screen, D3 6.1inch

Z1/2 Screen can be tilted, D3 screen is fixed flat

D3 has nicer sirius display

Z1/2 can control Pioneer's 6 disc dvd changer

D3 can be bypassed, Z2's bypass is currently unknown

Z1/2 looks more oem than the D3

Z1/2 voice recognition, D3 I don't beleive does(I could be wrong here though)

THat's all I can think of at the moment.

Z1 and Z2 use the same bluetooth module so phone pairing and functionality should be pretty close between the 2. The rest of the differences that I can recall are:

Z1/2 does text to speach, D3 doesn't

Z1/2 Harddrive based navi, D3 dvd based with memory mode

Z1/2 ipod interface doesn't transfer video, D3 does

This could be a good thing if you are only looking for Music

D3 ipod interface is faster

Could I use the USB interface on the Z2 to get a better speed?

I personally like the D3's bluetooth setup better than the Z1/2

how is it different?

Z1/2 7inch screen, D3 6.1inch

Z1/2 Screen can be tilted, D3 screen is fixed flat

D3 has nicer sirius display

Z1/2 can control Pioneer's 6 disc dvd changer

D3 can be bypassed, Z2's bypass is currently unknown

going to show my stupidity here Bypassed for what? Video while driving? Is there anything else locked down - I have not every had any unit like this so ... help an old man out.

Z1/2 looks more oem than the D3

Z1/2 voice recognition, D3 I don't believe does(I could be wrong here though)

THat's all I can think of at the moment.

The usb interface sucks on the z1/2. Not worth the effort.

As for the bypass, yes video while driving is one, aslo being able to change the navi destination while driving. If you look at the navi menu of the avics, if it's not bypassed the only option that is availible without the parking brake being set is the vicinity search.

As for the bluetooth, I don't really remember the z1/2 interface, but I do know that the d3's just seems to me to be more fluid than the z's is.

I have used the D2 and now have the Z1....the Z1 is better at mapping the destinations....faster at computations. The extra money was worthi it to me...and ...it talks to you...tells you the roads...so you do not have t keep looking at the display. The software in the Z1 is amost identical to the units used in Ford Zephyr, and Lincoln....I had a Zephyr last year, and the nav unit was identical in functionality to the Z1. Except...the buttons were a bit different, abut it did the same thing.

The Z1 also has enhanced audio system conrols, and higher quality sound in my opinion.

you can still set new direction (and/or vicinity search) using the voice recognition while driving right?

You can only set a new destination if it is in your address book. Destination only, you can't add or change waypoints.

Go for the Z1/Z2. I personally recommend the Z1, here in the shop we get way too many complaints about the Z2 not being bypassed. The d3's display is ridiculously small and doesn't look as factory as the Z1/Z2. Plus the hard drive is the best thing about it, you don't have to switch discs for the navi, that will get on your last nerve. The Z1/Z2 units sell for about 2,200 in most major retail stores and the D3 for 1,000. The only thing that would make anyone consider the D3 over the Z1/Z2 is that you can buy 2 D3's and have change left. But it's worth double the money for all those good reasons. Good luck choosing the best unit.

you can still set new direction (and/or vicinity search) using the voice recognition while driving right?

Theoretically you can BUT in reality the voice recognition is a joke.

Getting the bitch to understand is like winning the lottery.

Just to make sure it's not my speech that she's having problems with I've had various others give instructions to the Z1 and the result is always the same: You say: "Main street" and she repeats: "Lincoln ave".

When we get bored on a trip we play games with her to see just what she might come up with. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I was going to buy the D3, but I decided on the Z2 for a few reasons:

1) I wanted the voice recognition / voice command capability

2) I liked that the maps are stored on a hard disk, leaving the DVD-ROM always open

3) I believe the screen is slightly larger, but this is really a minor point for me - my previous GPS was an HP iPaq Pocket PC with a 240x240 screen, so just about any in-dash GPS was going to be an improvement!

The voice command feature was most important because I can focus more on my driving and less on the touchscreen. Also, the nice guys at Circuit City set it up so I could change destinations without setting the parking brake. I still can't view video on the touchscreen while driving, though, but this is not a problem for me - that would be far too distracting, and I have two kids, so I am distracted enough already!

Next in importance was the maps on the hard drive, meaning that I didn't have to carry DVDs with me, leaving the DVD-ROM drive open. My van is the long-trip car (and when I say long, I mean 15 hours in the car spread over 2 days, with two small children), so I will soon be adding the Vizualogic headrest monitor kit to my van, enabling the kids to watch DVDs while my husband and I listen to Sirius or my MP3 player up front.

Ok - Well I bought the D3 and have had it now for 4 weeks and just completed a two week road trip. The result is I am returning the D3 and getting the Z2. The Lack of detail on the display as well as the minimal amount of POI data are one factor for my decision. But the primary reason is the general inaccurate turn by turn. it was always about 20-30 seconds late. It was kind of like the joke about the child giving directions, turn back there ....

I lost count of how many times I missed my exit because it failed to provide timely or complete directions.

The only concern I have is the BT1 vs the BT200 - I found the Phone interface to be very useful but was never able to get my phone book from my Black Berry or my Moto 815E to upload.

I will let you all know what I think of the Z2 after it is installed next week.

Regards

Kevin

Ok - Well I bought the D3 and have had it now for 4 weeks and just completed a two week road trip. The result is I am returning the D3 and getting the Z2. The Lack of detail on the display as well as the minimal amount of POI data are one factor for my decision. But the primary reason is the general inaccurate turn by turn. it was always about 20-30 seconds late. It was kind of like the joke about the child giving directions, turn back there ....

I lost count of how many times I missed my exit because it failed to provide timely or complete directions.

The only concern I have is the BT1 vs the BT200 - I found the Phone interface to be very useful but was never able to get my phone book from my Black Berry or my Moto 815E to upload.

I will let you all know what I think of the Z2 after it is installed next week.

Regards

Kevin

As far as the turn by turn being off im willing to bet that who ever installed your unit didn't hook up the VSS wire and thats probably why it was not accurate. If this is true you will probably have the same problem with the Z2. I have had my D3 since February and it has never been off on turn by turn. Also, as far as I know the POI data is the same for all Pioneer units so you probably wont see any improvement there. And as for the BT interface on the Z series, you will probably have serious echo problems that you most likely will not be able to fix. There are still a lot of people reporting this problem with the Z series and this is not a problem with the D3. The blackberry also appears to be the worst at trying to transfer the phonebook, several people on here have reported that problem with various units. Just my 2 cents, good luck on your decision.

i had a z1 and recently sold it and got the d3. the navi is definitely more accurate on the d3, which is why i switched. but i just cant get used to the non tilting smaller screen, and the uneven border around the screen just drives me nuts. i think i may switch back