AVIC411.com

Pulp...let us know if you get your hands on that. I'm more worried that Pioneer will get a bunch of heat from the goverment to close off their bypass loophole and do that with an update. If you can open up their update and look at it, I'm guessing you can tell what they're doing...maybe even possibly delete that part of the update and reburn to another cd.
I would be amazed if they fix that loophole. An installer I talked to got a memo from pioneer telling him to install TR7's to put it into "marine" mode (for use in boats). They know about it. They put it in on purpose. Every model pioneer nav system (as far as I know) has some way to bypass the lockouts. This was just easier to put it into software.
I was not thinking about them fixing the loophole we use for the NAV. What I was talking about was any sort of updates. Map updates, XM updates, anything that comes on a disk that performs some sort of change to the unit.
There was an early post of somebody that had a disc they put in that turned off the NAV restrictions so they could use the unit on a boat or something like that. This was never confirmed or shared beyond this to my knowledge.
I want to see the format Pioneer uses (file names, layout, etc.) to trigger the Z1 to take an update. IE copy files.
It could be as simple as loading a file with a certain extension on the root of a CD that triggers an update.
The file download.exe on the HDD doesn't seem to do anything so perhaps this file is loaded when something specific is inserted.
My expectation is we could use the format for updating the unit to trigger a copy of files to the HDD. MP3's and the MP3 player for example. This way the fix for not playing MP3's could be uploaded by anybody by simply burning a "package" to a CD, adding MP3's and inserting it in the drive. Even a DVD-R might be usable.

This is long term thinking in case an easy way to unlock the HDD's is not found for the masses.
I know we will overcome these problems one at a time so I'm just adding goals to this project with questions....
[quote name="Anonymous"]I was not thinking about them fixing the loophole we use for the NAV. What I was talking about was any sort of updates. Map updates, XM updates, anything that comes on a disk that performs some sort of change to the unit.
There was an early post of somebody that had a disc they put in that turned off the NAV restrictions so they could use the unit on a boat or something like that. This was never confirmed or shared beyond this to my knowledge.
I want to see the format Pioneer uses (file names, layout, etc.) to trigger the Z1 to take an update. IE copy files.
It could be as simple as loading a file with a certain extension on the root of a CD that triggers an update.
The file download.exe on the HDD doesn't seem to do anything so perhaps this file is loaded when something specific is inserted.
My expectation is we could use the format for updating the unit to trigger a copy of files to the HDD. MP3's and the MP3 player for example. This way the fix for not playing MP3's could be uploaded by anybody by simply burning a "package" to a CD, adding MP3's and inserting it in the drive. Even a DVD-R might be usable.

This is long term thinking in case an easy way to unlock the HDD's is not found for the masses.
I know we will overcome these problems one at a time so I'm just adding goals to this project with questions....[/quote]

This was me above if you didn't figure it out.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]I was not thinking about them fixing the loophole we use for the NAV. [/quote]

I know, I was more answering 03Aviator

[quote name="03Aviator"]I'm more worried that Pioneer will get a bunch of heat from the goverment to close off their bypass loophole and do that with an update. [/quote]
[quote name="ducatiboy"]I would be amazed if they fix that loophole. An installer I talked to got a memo from pioneer telling him to install TR7's to put it into "marine" mode (for use in boats). They know about it. They put it in on purpose. Every model pioneer nav system (as far as I know) has some way to bypass the lockouts. This was just easier to put it into software.[/quote]

I agree Steve...and even posted that in another thread. I think Pioneer WANTS this information out there. It helps them sell units. But regardless of all their wants and desires, if Big Brother comes down on them, they may be forced to close it off. However, since there have been ways around this for years with older units, maybe it's something we won't ever have to worry about. I know one thing...we were all driving down the road the other day and wanted to see if a restaurant we knew about was able to seat us. We found everything we needed in the database to make the call...and the front passenger accessed it all without us ever having to stop. Very nice....
[quote name="03Aviator"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]I would be amazed if they fix that loophole. An installer I talked to got a memo from pioneer telling him to install TR7's to put it into "marine" mode (for use in boats). They know about it. They put it in on purpose. Every model pioneer nav system (as far as I know) has some way to bypass the lockouts. This was just easier to put it into software.[/quote]

I agree Steve...and even posted that in another thread. I think Pioneer WANTS this information out there. It helps them sell units. But regardless of all their wants and desires, if Big Brother comes down on them, they may be forced to close it off. However, since there have been ways around this for years with older units, maybe it's something we won't ever have to worry about. I know one thing...we were all driving down the road the other day and wanted to see if a restaurant we knew about was able to seat us. We found everything we needed in the database to make the call...and the front passenger accessed it all without us ever having to stop. Very nice....[/quote]

I will be fine with lockouts of this type just as soon as the voice recognition is up to the level of Star Trek.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]I will be fine with lockouts of this type just as soon as the voice recognition is up to the level of Star Trek.[/quote]

Driver: "Find closest strip club"

Avic-Z1: "Route calculated. Do you want to make this your destination?"

Driver: "MAKE IT SO!"

Avic-Z1: "Destination entered, you have 3.4 miles before reaching 'Dirty Dan's House of Juggies'."

That would be COOL!
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]I will be fine with lockouts of this type just as soon as the voice recognition is up to the level of Star Trek.[/quote]

Driver: "Find closest strip club"

Avic-Z1: "Route calculated. Do you want to make this your destination?"

Driver: "MAKE IT SO!"

Avic-Z1: "Destination entered, you have 3.4 miles before reaching 'Dirty Dan's House of Juggies'."

That would be COOL![/quote]

You stole my example.
  • 2 weeks later...
There will always be ways to bypass the lockout unless Nav makers design their units to integrate with each manufactures on board computer and stuff that in the firmware of the HU. Worse case scenario is you toggle the parking brake and/or speed sense lead to trick the unit into thinking it's at a standstill. You may not get a shop to do it, but as long as you can DIY, you can bypass this stuff. The only way I could see them eliminating this is by integrating with the GPS signal itself and using that to sense motion. That could be imbedded in the software/firmware.

Jay
[quote name="ducatiboy"]FYI, the Z1 has internal motion sensors which can not be bypassed with an external relay.[/quote]

In other words, what Ducatiboy is telling you is your exact example is already in place with this unit. It takes a software "hack" to bypass the way this is locked. The flashing technique on the illumination line does just that. Well, kinda. You're not hacking the software persay, you are telling it to do something different during boot up.