AVIC411.com

Z1 Hacking - Does it matter when it was made?

Hi guys,

Need some help, I'm about to purchase an AVIC-Z1, but was wondering if all Z1s can be hacked to watch video while driving. I heard that before June production models of Z1, it cannot be hacked, is this true? If not, I'm guessing any Z1 is hackable? Please help me out guys, thanks!

Yes, you can hack any Z1. THe pre june units required a different bypass to hack the unit, which required flashing of your headlights. However, if you did the bluetooth update on this prejune units, they would turn the Z1 into a post june unit, and you would use the newer bypass.

Thanks for the replies guys! Really appreciate the quick responses!

Ok, the main question is this: what should I really go for?.. the Z1 or the Z2? I mean, I'm leaning towards the Z1 because it's video hacked! vs the Z2 has not been hacked yet.. So guys, please guide me in the right direction. I don't think there's too much difference between the two in features and appearance, I believe both are the same?!

And.. if I do go the route of the Z1.. where can I obtain one? Thanks again guys!

Go with the Z1. Pioneer will come out with an update that will make the Z1 into a Z2 (with all its strengths and limitations) if you ever decide you want the Z2. I'm not sure when the update will be out, but rumor/speculation has it that it will cost around $250 to upgrade. By the time the update is out, maybe somebody will have figured out a way to bypass the Z2.

The other advantage for having a hacked Z-something is that you can search for POI/addresses without being stopped.

The hardware is the same between the Z2 and the Z1. The Z1 is totally bypassable. The Z2 is not yet, it might never be... might be, but not yet. If a fully functioning system is important to you no matter what speed you are at, then the Z1 is the way to go at this time. If you want to take the gamble that we will come out with something for the Z2 eventually then it does have slightly better software. There are some more options and updated maps and voice recognition (from what I have heard) but over all they are VERY similar. The novice user probably would not notice any difference between the Z1 and Z2. I have been using my Z1 for over a year and have been very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

my rep said it would be available in a few months, but will require a cd-key attached to serial number on the unit itself and that we would have to generate the key via new pioneer intranet only accessible to authorized pioneer dealers. price set at 250 plus shop labor

keeping in mind the only difference between z-1 and z-2 is the software someone should really go through and read ALL the software and compare differences in software concerning both models if we can isolate the lines of code refering to "lockout functions we should get a bypass

However, if you did the bluetooth update on this prejune units, they would turn the Z1 into a post june unit, and you would use the newer bypass.

Dude, you are killing my sales! :)

haha it probably doesnt help that you posted that info all over your sales website either.