AVIC411.com

Z2 Parking brake to ground or not to ground?

Z2 is in. I initially had the parking brake grounded. I would get the parking brake error. In doing some reading around here, I ungrounded the brake wire, reset my Z2. No message but missing a few functions. Regrounded the wire and now get the message back.

What is the correct sequence to have the brake grounded but no message?

You can't do what you want to do without getting that error.

You know it's possible to make a circuit which would watch the VSS wire and ground the parking brake automatically when you stop and unground it when you start moving again. But right now nothing is out there.

You know it's possible to make a circuit which would watch the VSS wire and ground the parking brake automatically when you stop and unground it when you start moving again. But right now nothing is out there.

Now that would be cool, but wouldnt that still require you to stop to get full navi functionality?

Now that would be cool, but wouldnt that still require you to stop to get full navi functionality?

Yah if there was a circuit which would do that... you would have to come to a stop, but something could automatic activate the parking brake and back again.... it's possible.

I realize the SUPPORTED way of hooking this up is to actually tie to the parking brake. I am interested in mounting a switch that I can 'fool' the Z2 in to thinking is a parking brake. I know this isn't much different than using the parking brake, but the brake is awkward to set/release in an F-250. I see in the wiring diagram that the wire is attached to the positive side of the switch. Does it sense voltage flow when the brake is engaged? How could that be done with a switch? You would have to have some type of load, you don't want to just go to ground! If I got a switch with a light on it and when I engaged the switch ("set the brake") and it lit up the light, that should do it?

Thanks for the help!

caadoptees, actually... No, what you have there will not do anything other than have a switch that would turn on and off a light. You want something more like this. Sorry about the bad MS paint file, it was the quickest thing I can do.

post-94-12872752632019_thumb.jpg

Guess you were typing that up before I edited mine with the picture.

The parking brake when applied is ground, when not applied it floats to +12.

Sorry about the bad MS paint. Technically on the left side of the switch and the negative side of the battery, that, if you can't tell, is the vehicle's ground point.

So something like this? It helps me to redraw mine to match yours, I learn more that way.

Yep that one is ok.

Depending on the LED you get you can adjust the resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit

Go here for a simple calculator:

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

But a 1K should be fine for most common red LED's.