AVIC411.com

Re-engineering/Reprogramming AVIC D3

Is it possible, since the source code is on the DVD itself, to recode some of the AVIC D3 functions?

If there are hackers and coders that can reprogram games, applications, etc. shouldn't it be possible to hack the Avic D3 software off the DVD and fix the problems ourselves?

Just a thought.

I'm lookin to fix all the problems on the D3, which are stupid software glitches, not hardware.

1) Ipod MENU button

2) No progressive scroll when searching for music on Ipod

3) Maybe even trying to get the unit to see an external hard drive to store the map data or something.

4) No RDS

5) Making the |<< and >>| hard buttons on the avic cycle through presets, not seek.

You can see where this is going. If Pioneer only cared to update these simple software fixes (well, other than the hard drive one ;) , this would be a near perfect NAV. To think they spent all this time making a really good nav, then overlooking details that count... it's annoying

This is kind of a shame; it would be great to be able to redesign menus, skin the interface, etc. It really is an ugly, inefficient interface. If they would just open it up so that talented tinkerers can take it to the next level, they would have a cult following in no time.

I'd like to be able to shut of screens I don't use (such as bluetooth audio).

I'd like to be able to have a single "favorites" screen that condenses favorite presets from various audio sources, bluetooth phone numbers, buttons for map/rear view.

I'd like to be able to get rid of those stupid disclaimer screens. If necessary, make me sign my name or enter initals one time and then never come back.

If they really want to save lives, give some thought to how many screens you have to drill down through to get common things done.

You can decompile it into assembly language, but then you'd have to know assembly which is not a simple language like VB or even C.

Even to turn it into assembly, you'd need to know what CPU they're using. The D1/D2 code has been disassembled, but the D3 probably uses a different CPU seeing as how the D3 DVDs don't work on D1/D2.

Also, RDS is a hardware as well as software issue. You need a tuner section capable of decoding the RDS data, and Pioneer non-RDS HUs aren't equipped with the RDS capable tuner.