AVIC411.com

HELP!!!

Guest bird_z06

Guest bird_z06
can somebody please help me locate( actual colors!!!) the wires for the parking brake, car speed signal, reverse...etc.. basically every wire for the navigation part of the AVIC-Z1 installation( i got the basic radio wires down to a science) ..pics would be greatly appreciated..TIA
[quote name="bird_z06"]can somebody please help me locate( actual colors!!!) the wires for the parking brake, car speed signal, reverse...etc.. basically every wire for the navigation part of the AVIC-Z1 installation( i got the basic radio wires down to a science) ..pics would be greatly appreciated..TIA[/quote]

Do you want the wires out of the back of the Z1 or from your car? If so, should we assume you have a Tbird or a Corvette ZO6?
Guest bird_z06
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="bird_z06"]can somebody please help me locate( actual colors!!!) the wires for the parking brake, car speed signal, reverse...etc.. basically every wire for the navigation part of the AVIC-Z1 installation( i got the basic radio wires down to a science) ..pics would be greatly appreciated..TIA[/quote]

Do you want the wires out of the back of the Z1 or from your car? If so, should we assume you have a Tbird or a Corvette ZO6?[/quote]

my bad..forgot to specify...Z06..and wires from the car
on my 2000 i did this, not sure if it's different but you will have to tap into the harness on the instrument cluster. You need to find the Green/white (A7-circuit 817) with a tan/white (A6-circuit 33) above it and a black (A8-circuit 150 ) below it..The other green/white (A10-circuit 357) oil temp has a blank and a gray on each side.
Guest bird_z06
[quote name="VIP400"]on my 2000 i did this, not sure if it's different but you will have to tap into the harness on the instrument cluster. You need to find the Green/white (A7-circuit 817) with a tan/white (A6-circuit 33) above it and a black (A8-circuit 150 ) below it..The other green/white (A10-circuit 357) oil temp has a blank and a gray on each side.[/quote]

naw that really didnt help..but thnx anyway
ducatiboy?......scott? anyone else?
I have no idea what chevy uses for a VSS wire and frankly you don't really need it. Well the parking brake is easy, just take apart the plastic around the parking brake and it should be the one and only wire going to it. I don't know where the harness would be in the dash. I'm pretty sure on a vette it's a hand brake and it's in the center console... take that apart and look at the mechnisim and there will most likely only be one and only one wire going to that with a switch on the joint of the brake handle, that should be what you want to tap off of. It also might be on the part of the car that comes in contact with the handle when it's down (so that when you lift up the parking brake lever, a button is released). It should be right there.

As for reverse, the "easiest" to find is back in the reverse light bulb housing. Look through the manual and find out how to replace the reverse light bulb. Then look at the socket for that bulb (or bulbs). Pull the bulb out and use a test light or a meter. It should have 2 wires in it. Stick the test light in one side or the other and put the car into reverse. The one that lights the test light (or goes to 12v) is the one you want to tap off of for the reverse signal.

Not sure of the exact colors and I haven't had a vette in years (last one was a 1980 L82) so I can't get pics or anything. But both of those are pretty easy to find cause you know where the reverse lights and parking brake levers are.
Guest bird_z06
[quote name="ducatiboy"]I have no idea what chevy uses for a VSS wire and frankly you don't really need it. Well the parking brake is easy, just take apart the plastic around the parking brake and it should be the one and only wire going to it. I don't know where the harness would be in the dash. I'm pretty sure on a vette it's a hand brake and it's in the center console... take that apart and look at the mechnisim and there will most likely only be one and only one wire going to that with a switch on the joint of the brake handle, that should be what you want to tap off of. It also might be on the part of the car that comes in contact with the handle when it's down (so that when you lift up the parking brake lever, a button is released). It should be right there.

As for reverse, the "easiest" to find is back in the reverse light bulb housing. Look through the manual and find out how to replace the reverse light bulb. Then look at the socket for that bulb (or bulbs). Pull the bulb out and use a test light or a meter. It should have 2 wires in it. Stick the test light in one side or the other and put the car into reverse. The one that lights the test light (or goes to 12v) is the one you want to tap off of for the reverse signal.

Not sure of the exact colors and I haven't had a vette in years (last one was a 1980 L82) so I can't get pics or anything. But both of those are pretty easy to find cause you know where the reverse lights and parking brake levers are.[/quote]
why exactly is the vss not needed?
[quote name="bird_z06"]why exactly is the vss not needed?[/quote]

The unit will navigate with the GPS antenna and will use that data for most of the possitioning and speed and so on. Pioneer also gives you the ability to connect to your car's VSS wire a signal which will pluse at different rates depending on the speed that you drive. This is used when you go into a tunnel and it can't see the sat signal.

It also has built in motion sensors as well for rotation, direction change and a change in positive or negative acceleration. It will use these internal motion sensors too.

If all it had was the GPS antenna and nothing else, as soon as you went into a tunnel it would lose the sat signal and it would assume you just stopped moving, on the nav system it would show you at the entrance of the tunnel. I think they don't actually do that, they assume an average speed and will most likely keep you going forward unless it sees more GPS data eventually.

So the Z1 also has internal accelerometers in at least 2 directions. Front and back and left and right. It uses those to help figure out if you are speeding up or slowing down or changing direction. It can use this data faster than seeing the different in position from the GPS signal.

Finally it also lets you hook into your car's VSS signal (a pulse that changes in frequency as you speed up and slow down). It will watch that line and if it learns a pattern (pulse freq. vs speed it sees with the GPS data) it will start using that to increase the accuracy of your position along with the internal accelerometers and the GPS data.

I didn't know where to look for in my car for that wire and I didn't bother, it's not a necessity. They say it improves your accuracy but I have had very good luck and am very pleased with the accuracy of the position without this wire connected. I guess if you are in NYC or in tunnels where you can't get the sat signal a lot, then it might help. If you are out in the open more than hidden from the sat signal I would think it's not necessary. If you can hook it up, go ahead, it will give you the most accurate and up to date information on how fast you are going. But without it (as long as you get good signal strength from the sat) you will just get a slight lag in the reporting of your speed (might take 1 second to update as opposed to 0.01 seconds). The VSS is only for telling the GPS your speed, nothing more. If it doesn't see that, it will take your position via the GPS and then in a second or so it will take another position, see the difference traveled and the change in time and calculate it. With the VSS it knows instantly how fast you are going.
[quote name="bird_z06"] [quote name="VIP400"]on my 2000 i did this, not sure if it's different but you will have to tap into the harness on the instrument cluster. You need to find the Green/white (A7-circuit 817) with a tan/white (A6-circuit 33) above it and a black (A8-circuit 150 ) below it..The other green/white (A10-circuit 357) oil temp has a blank and a gray on each side.[/quote]

naw that really didnt help..but thnx anyway
ducatiboy?......scott? anyone else?[/quote]
vss wire, pull the gauge cluster out. look at the connector, use the green/white connector that is next to the tan/white and the black. then you'll have a vss hookup, it's not that hard.
I would hook up the VSS. We've seen some reports here of navigation errors on units that didn't have it hooked up.

Steve....your VSS wire is right at the radio. It's in the factory plug that only has three wires in it (I think it's only 3...) It's the gray with black stripe. Very easy to get to.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I would hook up the VSS. We've seen some reports here of navigation errors on units that didn't have it hooked up.

Steve....your VSS wire is right at the radio. It's in the factory plug that only has three wires in it (I think it's only 3...) It's the gray with black stripe. Very easy to get to.[/quote]

I know, I just haven't had the urge to open up the dash again to hook it up. I'll do it when I bring the GPS antenna under the dash :)