AVIC411.com

My Avic-N3 monitor was stolen! What to do?

My AVIC-N3 monitor was stolen Saturday... They left the N3 brain, CD-IB100 iPod adapter, SIR-PNR2 Sirius unit, PAC SWI-PS steering wheel controls, and reverse camera all intact. They also made off with my East Coast DVD (60M)--I still have the West Coast one...

Anyhow, what are my options here, besides getting a new AVIC N3 monitor and / or entire new AVIC-N3 / or waiting for the N4 to come out?

Can I just plug an N1 or N2 monitor into my N3 brain? Will I still be able to watch video while in motion? Will the steering wheel controls etc all still work? How about the iPod and Sirus? If I get another N3 DVD will it automatically update the N2 to N3? Is any of the functionality different (i.e. iPod interface not as nice, etc)?

Thanks for the help. Oh here's some pics of the car:

lrdash.jpg

breakin2.jpg

damn, sorry to see those horrific pics. people on ebay sell the monitor without the brain for around 350 max if you're interested. hopefully they catch the people but i seriously doubt they will. good luck to you!

If I see a listing for a main unit go up for sale in Newark, NJ (where it was stolen) I'm going to be very unpleased... ugh

Sorry to see that! But you should be able to use a n2 screen with the n3 brain and it will be the same controls as you are used to. You will still need to by pass it under the silver sticker though with a circuit writer pen. Everything should still will as far as I know. You can buy some nav discs off of ebay for like 20 bucks. I just got two and they work great! They might be bootleg but who cares. As far as the N4 goes...I would probably want that because hopefully the sirius controls are a lot better. They are terrible right now. Good luck to catching that bastard, probably wouldn't hurt to through a security system with a siren with a backup battery built in to it as well!!

Sorry to see that! But you should be able to use a n2 screen with the n3 brain and it will be the same controls as you are used to. You will still need to by pass it under the silver sticker though with a circuit writer pen. Everything should still will as far as I know. You can buy some nav discs off of ebay for like 20 bucks. I just got two and they work great! They might be bootleg but who cares. As far as the N4 goes...I would probably want that because hopefully the sirius controls are a lot better. They are terrible right now. Good luck to catching that bastard, probably wouldn't hurt to through a security system with a siren with a backup battery built in to it as well!!

The Discovery has a factory security system... It'd been going off for 20 minutes and noone did anything... The cops said "You know how many car alarms go off in Newark each day." Ugh.

So I can pick up an N2, use the circuit write pen, and the iPod and Sirius and maps will be exactly the same, correct?

By using the N3 maps, does that upgrade the software of the N2 headunit automatically?

Thanks!

Yes as far as i know. When you go to take the silver sticker off heat it with a heat gun and follow it with a sharp razor blade, then heat it back up and put it back on when your finished.

I'm not sure if it will update it because you already have the N3 in there. I don't think it matters what monitor you have, only what brain unit is running it. I've installed a couple N2s and N3s and the only difference i can see on the monitor is the switch that is on the N3 as opposed to the r197 spots on the N2.

Where were you at when it got stolen?

Where were you at when it got stolen?

Newark, NJ at a wedding. UGH...

Actually, during the ceremony… The church, in Newark, was a beautiful cathedral--located in the middle of the ghetto. Ugh. we came out, windows smashed, Navigation, iPod, etc all gone… UGH.

This is the church, btw: http://www.cathedralbasilica.org/ .

On their "Getting Here" portion of the website, they ironically wrote this:

Parking Secure on-street parking is available on all surrounding streets.

Ugh… Anyhow, they keyed her car, took the NAV system, smashed a window etc.

The N3's discs will update the firmware/software on the headunit of the N2, not the brain :)

Perfect... So hold onto my N3 brain and all devices... Get a new DVD from an N3, and it will update the firmware on the N2 screen...

So the iPod functionality will be the same, and the Sirius will still suck, correct?

Thanks. Looks liek I can find an N2 for about $200 cheaper than an N3... Sounds like I should go with an N2, since everything else will work the same...

no parking is secured even though they say so. if anything, i'm sure that the security had something to do with it. we have a theater here and i know that it was them that had to do with all the car break ins. go with the n2 and save a fortune. wish you the best!

no parking is secured even though they say so. if anything, i'm sure that the security had something to do with it. we have a theater here and i know that it was them that had to do with all the car break ins. go with the n2 and save a fortune. wish you the best!

great, thanks for all the help guys!

• 1 month later...