AVIC411.com

I hate my Z2!

I have also located the bypass and will install that myself in the next couple days making this system useable. I don't find any excuse for the lack of the Z2's ability to navigate properly in the Banff, BC area.

You're blaming the unit and not the database? You honestly think that the OEM unit would be better in the Banff, BC area?

A LOT of units use the same database.

A nice hint here is to look at the road you are driving on on your unit when driving at all times. Then, you'll know the name of the road. You'll also get an idea of how they are named so you know what to search for. (I.e., Road, Route, Highway, HWY, etc...)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kind of hard to forget Hwy #1 in Canada. Its the main hwy that travels from one end of the country to the other. The Z2 has no idea that it exists between Golden, BC and Revelstoke, BC and it will take you on a 10 hour detour around Jasper if you try and program through it. Lake Louise has got to be one of the top 5 of places to visit in Canada but the Z2 does not know that it exists. I spent over a week there and the Z2 was almost totally useless. I am not saying that OEM unit is superior to the Z2. In my case the OEM unit would have been a far superior option. Even though it looked like I would have saved money with the Z2 it ended up costing more after install, and the hassle factor is huge. The OEM unit also incorporates all of the AV functions that I love about my factory radio system and the Z2 does not. It is neatly fit into the dash and looks like it belongs, not like an added on POS. I've seen several of these installed in new Dodge pickups and they all look like after market add ons. The OEM nav unit is much larger so when the dash piece for the factory unit is used as a replacement to try and fit the Z2 there is a lot a space to fill and there is no way to fill it so that it looks right. The factory unit might have a few less bells and whistles (I actually heard that it is the 3 year old pioneer system) but I don't need all the bells and whistles. It would have been far better for me to go with a professionally and factory installed factory nav and av system. After going through 2 installers I can tell you that the Z2 cannot be made to look like it belongs in my Dodge. It will always look like the add on that it is. The Z2 is not right for everyone. I am one of those guys that it is not right for and I bet there are a lot of others out there buying this system that feel like I do. You go to the store and ask for the best unit they have. You ask for the best unit because from prior experience the best: Lasts longer, requires less maintanence, is EASIER to use, looks better, ect. We pay more for added convenience, not for added hassle. In the end I have only my self to blame for not doing more research before I bought. I couple guys seem high on the kenwood system. Its one I didn't ever research becasuse I was told that the Z2 was superior. My advice is to look before you leap.

Shouldn't use GPS in Canada anyway. There are only like 3 roads.

;)

Best of luck to you. I do hear your pain.

In the states, however, my D1 has been great. I've been trying to justify an upgrade to a Z2 but I just can't, when the D1 works well for me.

wow 700.00 for your install you got truly ripped off i had the z2 and a drop down screen 4 headrest monitors a power adapter with video game input a rear and front view camera and a clifford 50.5 x alarm with tilt sensor and glass sensor plus the hood the doors the tailgate and the inbed trunk wired plus i had a radar detector put in and of course the bluetooth for the z2 and the stearing wheel controls and i paid a total of 180.00 for the install. car toys sounds like a true rip off how much do they charge for labor and how long to install a simple z2? all the places here in the bay area seem to charge 40 to 50.00 per hour what does car toys charge 350.00 per hour

I think that's $700 Canadian, yes?...and yes, CarToys is known to be expensive but they are also known not to cut corners with their installs (with the exception of that whole Mercedes mess a few years ago). Whereas some shops will use T-taps they will either solder or use the preferred military splice. A good friend of mine has a brother that use to manage one of their stores here in Houston and he told me they've found that solder tends break due to heat/humidity. I asked him why they didn't use a higher melt rosin and he told me it wasn't that it melted, it just became brittle and would literally disintegrate off...

I think that's $700 Canadian, yes?...and yes, CarToys is known to be expensive but they are also known not to cut corners with their installs (with the exception of that whole Mercedes mess a few years ago). Whereas some shops will use T-taps they will either solder or use the preferred military splice. A good friend of mine has a brother that use to manage one of their stores here in Houston and he told me they've found that solder tends break due to heat/humidity. I asked him why they didn't use a higher melt rosin and he told me it wasn't that it melted, it just became brittle and would literally disintegrate off...

That's either some cheap ass solder or a horrible solder job then. I have never ever seen a proper solder joint "disintegrate"

wow 700.00 for your install you got truly ripped off i had the z2 and a drop down screen 4 headrest monitors a power adapter with video game input a rear and front view camera and a clifford 50.5 x alarm with tilt sensor and glass sensor plus the hood the doors the tailgate and the inbed trunk wired plus i had a radar detector put in and of course the bluetooth for the z2 and the stearing wheel controls and i paid a total of 180.00 for the install. car toys sounds like a true rip off how much do they charge for labor and how long to install a simple z2? all the places here in the bay area seem to charge 40 to 50.00 per hour what does car toys charge 350.00 per hour

Wait a minute...so now you have 2 SEPARATE radios in your car??? Sounds even more complex to me now! All these switches, speakers, aux speakers, are a waste.

And all this just because you can't get RDS??? Seems to me like XM/Sirius was a MUCH better route than FM...but to each is own.

Hopefully it works for you!

I have no idea which shop would have done ALL THAT for only $180. I had nearly the exact same installation done...but with a lot more sensors on the 50.5x. I did everything myself, except for the alarm (makes the insurance company happy :)

Just the alarm/8 sensors cost I think around $500. 12hr install.

To do all of that for $180, they either made good profit on the equipment or cut some major corners. If the equipment was less than retail I would worry about the install. What type of vehicle?

That's either some cheap ass solder or a horrible solder job then. I have never ever seen a proper solder joint "disintegrate"

I was thinking that same thing. I work in electronic repair (been doing this shit for almost 10 years..... how depressing) and Ive never seen a solder joint disintegrate. Ive seen joints go "cold" and have to be reheated and ive seen joints get eatin up by excessive flux left on the joint, but Ive never seen one disintegrate.

Did he get that solder out of a bubble gum machine in front of walmart or something?