AVIC411.com

Already missing my Z1!!

Well I have been perfectly happy with my z1, everything was working fine until I tried to install the backup camera. I have read all the threads on this subject and mine seems to be a bad backup input into the Z1. Everything is grounded right and the backup camera works fine if you plug it into the video input but is terrible plugged into the backup input.

I bought it on ebay so I called the seller which is a large on-line dealer with great ratings. The unit has been installed for about a month or so. The store apologized for the problems I was having and said they would replace the unit with a new unit. I was given an RMA number and I am now waiting for the new unit to return.

My unit was working perfect other than the backup input, I hope the next one does as well. I will also lose all my saved stuff on the unit but I really want it to work properly in every aspect.

I said all this to say it really sucks to have to pull the unit and do without, I now sympathize with others that have done the same!!!

IS it the Pioneer Camera?? I have had one on my Z1 for almost a year now and have no problems. It is installed correctly and works flawlessly. I was a bit leery when I ordered it, as I kept reading about how bad the Pioneer Camera is and it never works right, leaks, etc... Mine has been trouble free. Have put 24k miles on the odometer with it installed... 0 problems...

I think the pioneer camera is probably the best one to use. I am 99% sure it is the head unit, way to much trouble pulling it out to send back.

I almost started to leave well enough alone and just use the backup camera in the aux. video mode but I really want it all working perfectly.

I am glad that the online seller store is willing to send me another unit, how does the warranty deal work. After seeing a list of authorized dealers they are not on the list. They shipped me a sealed refurbished unit from pioneer with the 90 day pioneer warranty in the box. If they are not authorized dealer does that mean I cannot ship back to pioneer. If that is the case then how did they get the unit to sell in the first place. In there ad they state that they are responsible for the first 90 day warranty period but it also says that pioneer covers all refurbished units for 90 days.

Anybody got an answer I would appreciate a good explanation it is not really clear.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on my third Z1 and still have the backup camera problem, when put in reverse the picture is dark, bad and has lines run through it. I have unplugged the brown plug and switched it to the yellow aux. video input and the picture is clear as a bell. I even hooked up another new camera with the same results when plugged into the backup input. The Z1 store is now suggesting that I check the cable running from the back of the Z1. Any advice I can give the installer about the plug or how it should be hooked up would be appreciated. I have to agree that after my third Z1 it has to be a wire problem.

Thanks for any help. I have read most of the other post which more of the solutions seem to be a bad backup input at the Z1 unit itself.

Thanks Lee

I went back to the installer today with the same camera problem and after about an hour he found one pin in the backup camera connection that was just pushed a little bit out. He eased the pin back in place and the backup camera is now working fine.

I was convinced it was the Z1 was the problem even after installing the third new one. My main reason for posting this is please look very close at the backup camera connector to the point of replacing it before sending your unit back.

Lee :roll:

Just data from my own Z2 install. Please no comments, but being an AV highender I first iinstalled my BC1 using the top of the line Monster Car Video cable, to match the rest of my install. When I checked reverse or map/RCV all I had was black video. Eveything was working except the video. I checked everything with no results. Then just to check the video cable I used the cheep brown cable that came with the BC1. Bingo perfect video. Monster no video,cheep video. So I left the cheep in and will use the good cable for something else.