AVIC411.com

XM, Bypass, VSS issues

I recently got some stuff installed by an installer that apparently sucks and I already shelled out $300 to him to do the initial install so I want him to get it right so I dont have to pay someone else to fix his mistakes.

Well, after him not wiring the illumination wire, and not grounding the wires correcty (which is still trying to be resolved)... I ran into another issue.

Audio from the library, CD player, DVD, FM, AM works fine. However my XM radio does not have sound coming from it, not even on the XM preview channel. I registered the code with XM and everything and I get channel names, art , and artist names for each channel. Additionally, the XM satellite signal always hangs at "marginal" or "weak"..

Can anyone shed any light on any of these issues? I'm going to bring it back to him tomorrow. Thanks.

after reading a couple of your posts and the issues you're having, im thinking your installer is a numb nut.

Yeah unfortunately I think he is too. It's sad because he runs a shop for tricking out imports and doing big installs like sound systems and the such. It boggles me how he can screw up so much. Maybe he just hasnt worked on the 07 Pilot much or worked with the Pioneer AVIC's. Wish I knew another installer.

To take the pilot radio out

http://handaaccessories.com/pilot/06audio.pdf

WOW! Looking at that, yours is even easier to take apart than mine. It should be fairly easy too considering how new the vehicle is. I remember with my 93 civic, it was a crap shoot if plastic snaped or not, but I think that had more to do with aged plastic, the elements, and so on and so forth.

I bet you'll do fine. :D

Yeah I'm gonna try to do that now. I might be able to mess with the bypass 2nd wire to get it working . Only thing I'm worried about is the XM unit which I'm not sure where it is, but I might find out.

Also does anyone know how to hook up the VSS? I don't think he hooked that up either and he told me he wont be able to look at it until Monday

Speed Sense blue/white ac driver multiplex ctrl unit, pin 14

Notes: The driver multiplex control unit is attached to the driver side fuse box. It has a green 22 pin plug on the side of the fuse box facing the firewall.

That's the info for an 06. Directechs and audiovox don't list the info for an 07 yet. Might be the same might not. Can't hurt to try it.

Speed Sense blue/white ac driver multiplex ctrl unit, pin 14

Notes: The driver multiplex control unit is attached to the driver side fuse box. It has a green 22 pin plug on the side of the fuse box facing the firewall.

That's the info for an 06. Directechs and audiovox don't list the info for an 07 yet. Might be the same might not. Can't hurt to try it.

Thanks, but that sounds a bit complicated to get hooked up. Think I'll leave that one to the installer. I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything electrical with the car

Alright, first time ever taking apart the dash and removing the radio. WOW that was pretty damn simple, and I don't know why the heck they had to leave pry marks since I didnt have to pry anything at all... They probably don't have experience taking apart the 07 pilot I believe. Now I'm pissed.. But I have it all taken apart inside my car outside and I need some questions answered, please.

Well a couple observations first:

The connector was plugged in the INPUT of XM radio unit so I took it and plugged it into the OUTPUT as I was told to do. Won't know if this works until I put everything back together.

Now the bypass... I saw that the light green wire was grounded, good. Now. for the 2nd wire, the isntaller just took a random foreign wire, cut both the ends, grounded one end and stuffed the other into the socket in Ducati's "2 wire" instruction picture. I moved the connector a bit and the wire just fell out.. Don't think it was in there too good obviously...

So the yellow wire from "connector 1" on the bottom left set of wires (in the black plastic block connector) has a fuse on it right? I just want to make sure its the right one before I take it out of the connector.. It goes through a black plastic piece that has a fuse in it, then its spliced to 3 other yellow wires... at which point do I take the yellow wire and ground it? Should I ground it including the fuse? And what are the 3 other yellow wires spliced to it?

Also, for the VSS. The ahole told me he connected it, but it got some electrical tape on the end and its not connected. What a jerk.. This one seems like a tough one because I don't have the slightest clue how to wire it behind or through the firewall and such so I might just have to have the slightly less clueless installer try to do it.

Thanks for the help so far

Now the bypass... I saw that the light green wire was grounded, good. Now. for the 2nd wire, the isntaller just took a random foreign wire, cut both the ends, grounded one end and stuffed the other into the socket in Ducati's "2 wire" instruction picture. I moved the connector a bit and the wire just fell out.. Don't think it was in there too good obviously...

Well, that sucks. That should not work very well. You need to relocate a wire in connector 1 or 2 and insert it in there.

So the yellow wire from "connector 1" on the bottom left set of wires (in the black plastic block connector) has a fuse on it right? I just want to make sure its the right one before I take it out of the connector.. It goes through a black plastic piece that has a fuse in it, then its spliced to 3 other yellow wires... at which point do I take the yellow wire and ground it? Should I ground it including the fuse? And what are the 3 other yellow wires spliced to it?

The cell phone mute wire is a yellow/black wire. I don't know what yours is wired too. But you want to take a wire from connector 1 or 2 which you are not using, it doesn't matter which one. Extract it from the connector and re-insert it into the location I specified. Then ground it.

Also, for the VSS. The ahole told me he connected it, but it got some electrical tape on the end and its not connected. What a jerk.. This one seems like a tough one because I don't have the slightest clue how to wire it behind or through the firewall and such so I might just have to have the slightly less clueless installer try to do it.

Jerks. I wish I could tell you where it is in the pilot, but I can't. Maybe someone here can. Usually for the firewall, I would find something else that goes though there and stick the wire in there with it. But I'm not an installer so I don't have much experience with that.

Thanks for the help so far

I which I had more for you.

Just correctly grounded the cell mute wire and put it in connector 2. Going to test it out, XM is still not working though... I have to find the little IP bus thing but I think the installer had the cable going from "IP Bus IN" on the processor and connecting it to the AVIC-Z2 Directly... And if I understand it correct, it needs to go from "IP BUS out" on the processor to the "IP BUS IN" on the IP BUS right?

Thanks again