AVIC411.com

Unlocking HDD

Can someone please explain to me how keep a HD unlocked? I followed the HDD FAQ instructions below but MHDD doesn't seem to work for me.

Q: How do I disable the lock on my HDD

A: You need to use a drive editing program. I prefer to use MHDD http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/. Download the Magic boot disk and create a boot floppy. You can do this to any hard drive that supports drive locking. If you are increasing the size of your HDD do this to the replacement drive as well or the Z1 will lock it for you. Yes, even a drive you paid for seperately will be locked if inserted in the Z1. The drive doesn't even have to be setup to work in the Z1 to be locked. Connect your HDD to your PC using the IDE adapter (not ...

I connected using an IDE adapter and booted from a Magic Boot 2.0 floppy as per the instructions. My drive doesn't come up even though it's the only HDD attached. When I press shift F3 to bring up a list of drives nothing happens. Only a virtual drive is flashed during boot up and the prompt ends with G: MHDD>. I dont know what to do from there. Typing config doesn't do anything. I am NOT using an HP drive. Can someone help? Thanks!

Oh, well you weren't really clear with what you were doing. When you boot into windows with it connected, can you see it as a drive? If so, you should be fine using MHDD and I'm guessing you're not pressing the right key upon entering MHDD. Look it up, but I think you need to push something to refresh the drive status before you can make changes.

If you can't see it even in windows, then it's either connected wrong, faulty, or not enabled in your bios.

I can definitely see the drive in windows. The instructions on HDD FAQ said to press shift F3 to list the drives, but that doesn't do anything for me. Neither does the config command. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sorry for the noob questions. I'm really not this computer illiterate, but the instuctions aren't very clear.

Can someone please explain to me how keep a HD unlocked? I followed the HDD FAQ instructions below but MHDD doesn't seem to work for me.

Q: How do I disable the lock on my HDD

A: You need to use a drive editing program. I prefer to use MHDD http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/. Download the Magic boot disk and create a boot floppy. You can do this to any hard drive that supports drive locking. If you are increasing the size of your HDD do this to the replacement drive as well or the Z1 will lock it for you. Yes, even a drive you paid for seperately will be locked if inserted in the Z1. The drive doesn't even have to be setup to work in the Z1 to be locked. Connect your HDD to your PC using the IDE adapter (not ...

I connected using an IDE adapter and booted from a Magic Boot 2.0 floppy as per the instructions. My drive doesn't come up even though it's the only HDD attached. When I press shift F3 to bring up a list of drives nothing happens. Only a virtual drive is flashed during boot up and the prompt ends with G: MHDD>. I dont know what to do from there. Typing config doesn't do anything. I am NOT using an HP drive. Can someone help? Thanks!

You have to run MHDD first

I can definitely see the drive in windows. The instructions on HDD FAQ said to press shift F3 to list the drives, but that doesn't do anything for me. Neither does the config command. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sorry for the noob questions. I'm really not this computer illiterate, but the instuctions aren't very clear.

I thought they were very clear. I had never used MHDD before and followed his instructions to the letter and it went exactly as was written.

Once the Z1 drive is unlocked and you can see it in windows, you shut off your PC. Pull out all drives except for your Z1 drive. Reboot the machine with the MHDD boot disk in the drive.

You boot to the MHDD boot disk, you are in the DOS window.

Then from the instructions:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0

The only drive in your system should be displayed. In my case it is drive number 3. Press 3 and enter.

If no drives are displayed press shift F3 and the list should come up. Now press the number next to your drive.

You should be at a command prompt named MHDD> Type EID and press enter

This should display a log of information about your drive.

Here is the info from the stock drive.

TOSHIBA MK3029GACE LBA:58,605,120

SN:26TPxxxxx FW:RB102A

Supports HPA LBA MS16 DMA (UDMA5,MWDMA2)

SMART: Enabled Selftest: Suported ErrorLog:Supported

Security: high, OFF. Size = 28615MB

You should be back at the MHDD> prompt.

Type config and press enter

If the drive you have is configurable you will see the "CHANGEABLE PARAMETERS" list.

The item in the list you want to see is "Security feature set is supported"

First question: Do you want to apply any changes to your drive? y/N Press Y and Enter

The next set of steps will be different depending on what features your drive supports. Each question defaults to the current setting. Just press Enter at each question (you do not want to make changes to anything else or you will HURT your drive).

Do you want to switch SECURITY support off? y/N Press Y and Enter

Continue to press enter until you are finished with config.

You should see:

Calculating new checksum...

Writing changes to the drive...

Done.

Type EID at the MHDD> prompt and you should no longer see the security settings.

Type Exit and press enter.