AVIC411.com

Front channel cuts out at higher volumes????

My front components are playing intermitten & when i crank the system they cut out or when i play my system for a while. When the cut out, usually turning the volume down make the components come back on. Only the front channel cuts out, not the sub too.

Setup

HU = D3

JL 300/2 running Diamond Hex audio components

JL 500/1 running 12W6

HU running rear Diamond Hex series 6x9's

Car = Lexus IS300

Optima Yellow top battery

Just last week i was riding down the road & my front components just stop working, wasn't really pounding the speakers but they just cut out. For no reason, they come back on. During this time, i didn't adjust the volume, in fact i didn't do anything.

Washing the car this weekend, speakers playing fine. All the sudden, fronts go out & stay out for a while (rears & sub stay on). Popped the trunk, looked at my amps & Got a green light on both amps (no yellow protect mode light). Cut car off & back on no effect. Checked all the wires at the amp & crossover, all in the tight. Several minutes later, sound comes back

Troubleshooting some more, begining to notice at low volumes i don't have the problem, crank the stereo & the fronts cut out. Also, sub doesn't seem to be consistent power. Ex. radio at the same volume, all the sudden the bass will rip & seem to go back down. I thought it was the way we have the amps tuned (at first) but i listen to these songs a lot so i know when the is suppossed to hit, i turn it up & bass is more consistent but fronts go out. What the heck is happening :shock:

i know this sucks but it sounds like a speaker wire is shorted out or pinched.

are you using the factory wiring to the speakers? if so run new wires

if not then simply check all wires at speaker and crossover. if the problem persists run new speaker wire just draped over your seats to the amp and drive around bangin- hopefully this helps

also where are the crossovers?

ive pulled lots of old crossovers that simply rusted out of the doors of cars

i know this sucks but it sounds like a speaker wire is shorted out or pinched.

are you using the factory wiring to the speakers? if so run new wires

if not then simply check all wires at speaker and crossover. if the problem persists run new speaker wire just draped over your seats to the amp and drive around bangin- hopefully this helps

also where are the crossovers?

ive pulled lots of old crossovers that simply rusted out of the doors of cars

Thanks for the response. I ran all new JL wiring, the crossovers are in the trunk.

Just one tid bit of info, i blew one of the tweets so currently on one of the crossovers i have one of the tweets unhooked, is this a factor????

still sounds like a short in a wire. use your meter for continuity on all connections. also not to sound brashbut my jl amp would cut out i thought it was the speakers so i replaced but when i still had the issue i hit the amp and found the problem.....cold solder joint in the amp.

ps go eagles

• 4 weeks later...
not that this is causing your problem or anything, but whats the point of running your rear speakers off the head unit? your jl amp will drown them out and the head will be distorting at the higher volumes

When i was designing the system i thought running the rears off the HU would provide a rear stage filler but as noted by you, when working properly the 300/2 drowns them out. The only added benefit was when my front cuts out, i still have some words :D

Update on the Issue.....

It has been way too hot & I have been way too lazy to run new speaker wire straight from the HU to the crossover to eliminate teh speaker side. No AC in the garage combined w/ 90+ North Carolina days have made working on the car impossible for me. I really dread taking apart most of the interior to troubleshoot this problem. What also "muddies the water" is the fact i have a cover panel over my amps that was professionally installed & i am not looking forward to remove that to troubleshoot the Amp. But i can still run new speaker wire from the HU to buypass the amps just to eliminate the very small chance the problem is from the crossovers back to the speakers. & that will alteast get me some fronts until i get a chance to replace the amp assuming that's the issue.

I made a post remark on volume cutting out on other post...anyway...try checking your polarity on the speaker...different polarity and load can blow the speaker out at certain load volume...different ohm reading speaker, positive negative at different speaker going into same amp...try this...use a 9volt battery and find out if it is the correct phase for each speaker. Phase in or phase out.