AVIC411.com

New guy report on Z2

Hey everyone,

I'm new here. I found this forum because a potential installer suggested it to me when i told him that my N3 had been stolen. (it was taken about 2 months ago, and I can't find the damn serial) Anyway, I was reading a lot of negative posts about the z2 all day yesterday (while my car was in the store getting installed) and i was getting kind of worried. I just thought I'd share my thoughts now that i have the working unit installed.

I got the z2 with the ipod adapter, blue tooth as well as the XM tuner. Everything is working great. Even the blue tooth, which after reading all the threads, i was positive it would end up being a waste of money. I haven't used the navigation to much yet so I can't comment on the quality of it. (I read some threads about people hating it) One feature I was able to mess around with was the voice recognition, which works while your driving (if you don't have the bypass done). It's pretty accurate as far as correctly interpreting what you say until you get saying town and street names. I tried 5 different times to get my town in there and not once did it get it right. All in all though, I'm very happy with the unit.

A couple side notes on the install: I got everything hooked up for 200 exactly at Monmouth Stereo in Eatontown NJ, and the dash was a mess from the N3 thieves with wires cut everywhere and the car faceplate torn apart.

I paid the installer an extra 40 dollars to do the bypass for me, however as soon as left the store and drove over 20 mph I got the parking break wire message and the bypass stopped working. I printed out the thread about this issue and I'm bringing it back to him today so hopefully that should do the trick. (not gonna lie though, i'm worried that he's gonna fix that and the something else will stop working, as I've read people had trouble with the bypass and XM)

Finally, when I started the car and played with the options, i found that i had working XM which is funny considering I haven't paid for the service yet. I originally got the XM unit for the NAVtraffic but im kinda hesitant to call them considering i'm getting free XM for now. Anyone know why this is happening?

If you have any other questions let me know, I'd be happy to answer.

Did your installer run the program that was on this forum. I did the bypass with a friend and not only did we do the hand brake wire trick but we had to run the updated software given on one of the threads before it would work.

I only had the unit for a couple weeks myself and I have nothing negative to say yet!

I'm not sure if he ran the software or not, but I'm hoping thats the problem. He didn't seem too sure about why it wasn't working correctly.He suggested to reset the unit, (which I did, but it would work for about 2 minutes and then the parking break message would appear again and the bypass would fail)

He did mention hearing something about that this being a common problem on refurbished units. Does anyone know if that could be right?

No, its not common. What is common is not grounding properly, or not making sure the pin is in all the way on connector two. May as well burn the fix just in case its not done, only takes a couple minutes

I'm not sure if he ran the software or not, but I'm hoping thats the problem. He didn't seem too sure about why it wasn't working correctly.He suggested to reset the unit, (which I did, but it would work for about 2 minutes and then the parking break message would appear again and the bypass would fail)

He did mention hearing something about that this being a common problem on refurbished units. Does anyone know if that could be right?