AVIC411.com

QUESTION ABOUT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS

Well I'm guessing here, but doing the bypass basically disables external devices from muting the D3. (If that is, what you are asking about is your onstar being able to automatically mute the D3 when it operates)

To get around this, leave the mute wire in it's stock pin location and hook it up to onstar. Instead of moving the mute wire to the pin location as shown in the bypass instructions, move a different wire that is not in use on that harness, like maybe the power antenna wire.

The bypass will work with any wire in that location, not just the mute wire. The only reason that it says to use the mute wire is because most installations aren't going to use it.

So basically, if there is another wire on the harness that is not being used, move that to the slot above the mute wire instead of the mute wire itself. And ground that wire as required by the bypass.

i just had my D3 hooked up on sunday.

i dont have my onstar activated, but for giggles, i pressed the onstar button, and could HARDLY hear the voice on the other end. and i mean, it was so quiet, i didnt even think it was even working.

my mute wire was moved for the bypass.

also, my stock xm antenna was used for the new xm box.

I HAVE INSTALLED THE AVIC-D3 IN MY 05 SILVERADO AND I AM USING THE MUTE WIRE I THINK, BECAUSE MY VEHICLE HAS ONSTAR. WHAT AFFECT IF ANY IS CHANGING THE POSITION OF THIS MUTE WIRE GOING TO HAVE ON THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MY HEAD UNIT, ONSTAR, OR BLUETOOTH FEATURES.

I have an 06 Silverado. You can perform the exact same bypass as everyone else. The mute wire is not "hooked up" to onstar as someone had mentioned. This is what the interface unit is for (along with retaining door chimes and power when the ignition key is removed until a door is opened). If you look at the interface, the front speaker wires are what is routed through the box. This is where the muting is done when the onstar button is pressed. When I press my Onstar button (for hands free calling) it basically turns off the D3 until I end my conversation. It's not quite like factory, but that's what you get for installing an aftermarket deck. Onstar will still function if you choose to use it. This should have no effect on bluetooth either since that connection is made through the bluetooth adapter itself and the D3 (I don't have the bluetooth personally, however).

The only use for the mute wire from your AVIC (considering you are using a PAC or Peripheral interface)would be, if you do not want the AVIC ot shut off when you use OnStar, cut the brown loop of the interface, and connect it to the AVIC's mute wire according to the instructions from the interface. Then, you would have to find a different wire to insert into the harness for your bypass.