AVIC411.com

Hooking up Z1 to an outside DVD player

Well I have an F-150 with a rear seat entertainment system...dual headrests, it has the wireless headphones and it's own dvd player, is there a way to hook up the Z1 so the movie the backseat passengers are watching can be seen on the Z1. Right now my audio plays through the stock radio using an adapter. Thanks
[quote name="campinfamily"] [quote name="jbell73"]The Z1 does have an "A/V Input" which can accept RCA Video + Stereo audio signal. This could accomplish what you are looking for.

I use the A/V input for MP3 audio, and just ignore the video.[/quote]

Does this come with the unit or is it an add-on.[/quote]

No the AV inputs are built in.

There might be another problem, but we should find out from other people to know for sure, but you might need to keep your stock head unit installed behind the dash or something to still provide a signal for the add on dvd system. I think that some ford dvd systems will only work if the head unit is installed. I remembed seeing some guys with the Z1 in the dash and the old head unit stuck behind the dash. You might need something like that.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]There might be another problem, but we should find out from other people to know for sure, but you might need to keep your stock head unit installed behind the dash or something to still provide a signal for the add on dvd system. I think that some ford dvd systems will only work if the head unit is installed. I remembed seeing some guys with the Z1 in the dash and the old head unit stuck behind the dash. You might need something like that.[/quote]

I saw the same thing in a thread here. But after looking at the factory wiring diagrams, it seems the rear entertainment system is actually turned on with the head unit...so you need to be able to accomplish that with the Z1. Now, that brings up another interesting question. The factory sub amp is turned on by the factory head unit too...but there is an interesting twist. It evidently uses a 5V signal to turn it on and the Z1 issues a 12V signal. This causes a very loud and annoying pop whenver you turn on the Z1 and could possibly cause issues down the road. Ducatiboy can show you just exactly how to get around this with a regulator. So this raises the question as to what exactly is the signal the head unit uses to turn on the rear system? I think some exploratory work with a wiring diagram and digital meter would answer all those questions.

By the way...I know of a guy who bought a FACTORY rear entertainment system off eBay from a wrecked Aviator. He installed it in his Aviator with an aftermarket head unit and got it to work perfectly for him. So it can be done without using the factory head unit.

I wouldn't hesitate to try this. Looking at the factory wiring diagrams, I just don't see a major problem with it. It may take some head scratching, but it should be able to be accomplished.
Thanks guys, the headrest system I have, I installed, it has nothing to do with the current headunit. It has it's own power/DVD/Monitors/wireless Headphones/ and FM modulator, what I did was install a PIE adapter So now when I just change the input on the factory HU to "AUX" it plays the dvd through the factory HU.

So this should not be an issue.
[quote name="03Aviator"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]. The factory sub amp is turned on by the factory head unit too...but there is an interesting twist. It evidently uses a 5V signal to turn it on and the Z1 issues a 12V signal. This causes a very loud and annoying pop whenver you turn on the Z1 and could possibly cause issues down the road.

quote]

No factory sub either....it keeps getting easier and easier!!
[quote name="campinfamily"]Thanks guys, the headrest system I have, I installed, it has nothing to do with the current headunit. It has it's own power/DVD/Monitors/wireless Headphones/ and FM modulator, what I did was install a PIE adapter So now when I just change the input on the factory HU to "AUX" it plays the dvd through the factory HU.

So this should not be an issue.[/quote]

Oh yah, the is an AV input on the back of the Z1, if your headrest system is aftermarket and has RCA outputs, you can wire that right up to the Z1. If it has RCA inputs, you can wires those up to the Z1 as well. Then you can play a video on the Z1 and have it come through on the monitors, or if you have something playing in the rear monitors, they can play audio or video through the Z1. It would be cool.

We thought you had a "factory" rear video system, which on some fords requires the original head unit to initialize it before it will work.
I've done the same thing with my unit. I have a directed 15" WS monitor in the back that came with a Directed DVD player hidden in the console. I wired that to my AV inputs on the Z1 and now I have two full zones operational as well as an extra set of AV inputs (on the front of my directed dvd player.) Works great, though I must admit I can't see when I'll ever use it unless I stick a Playstation or something in the car for the kids and need that aux in.