AVIC411.com

Hey everyone, about 2 months ago i had a d3 installed in my b6 audi avant. I love it considering i was about to shell over about 2k for the OEM one... then found the AWESOME illumination feature on this unit and 'went for it'. Anyway, here is my question and yes i RTFM :); I have done several searches for people using macs to make their picture dvdrs for background content and was wondering if they were using NERO or the built in burning software on TIGER to make there PICTURES disc readable in the car? I have tried to make a disc but when i put it in the car it it isnt recognized.

Also, with the D3 I have read conflicting reports as if you actually do need to use 'FILLER DATA' in order to get this to work since the jpegs are really small..

I do have a couple p.c.s here at the house (the lady in the house likes them :) but thats a whole other thread...) and a couple macs that i use... So, if it will make a difference if i use a p.c. over a mac i would do it no problems...

I am just a bit bummed about reading the thread about a guy who made a disc in NERO on his p.c. ( i have it for mac) and its till not working even after putting filler date in which someone responded they did not need filler data with the d3....

I just need straight answer from those who have gotten it to work on their d3s :).

I anxiously await to make a background picture of the car i am driving in? wait thats a terrible idea... I just think its funny how we like to make backgrounds of the cars we are in already ... maybe i will take a picture of the d3 in my car and use that as the background so it goes on infinity ..... escher style.

Thanks to everyone for reading this terribly long and i am assuming poorly written and uneducated threads. I have been reading a lot on this thread for a couple weeks then decided to register and have combed many a thread and still no luck.

love and rockets,

sadpandas

I have burned (wasted?) 6 cdrs so far and have followed every thread on the d3 as well as the good old fashioned manual at the beginning of this journey and nothing has worked. This is an update and a bump and i am not leaving till someone tells me how i can put these sexy marth stewart and oprah backgrounds i custom built onto the D3! and yes, i will share these most coveted of all backgrounds with the people that help me for free. thats right, martha smiling and telling you your little nav is loading up is what EVERY person needs.

BUMP BUMP BUMP IT UP!

I can't say that I have tried it in a mac, but the first CD I made didn't work. I didn't use filler data, and named the folder pictures. The second attempt, I named the folder PICTURES and used filler (which happened to include some mp3s, oops) That disc also flopped. The last few attempts have all been successful for me, making sure I name the folder in caps and use filler, though I cannot say for sure which (perhaps both) was the deciding factor for me. I have used the generic windows recording software, and something that came preloaded onto my laptop before I wiped the drive clean (NTI or something, really don't know) I would suggest making sure you finalize the disc. If none of that works, I will go bother someone with a mac and see if I can't get it to make a usable cd.

Im the one that reported you dont need filler data, at least I didn't. I use a mac and toast. I have a PICTURES folder spelled in all caps that is only 1.7 megs with 13 pics in it. I just use the MAC&PC disk option under DATA in toast and it works fine for me. Also use an RW disk if you have one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry i have been away so ong, too many damn deadlines! My lady got herself an 03 passat and of course, wants my sweet d3 installed so here we go all over again :). She drove my a4 for 4 days while her old car was being 'worked on' (hence the new to her car. 30k miles on her... nothing like a lease ;)).

Babble Babble... sorry about that. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips guys i will try the r+ with no filler and with filler. I have flattened them down to a single layer and used the proper aspect ratio for all pictures. Here is the game plan:

Make Folder named PICTURES

Put pictures in above aforementioned folder

Put dummy word files or other sorts of 'garbage' on there

Burn using TOAST on a RW disc with the MAC/PC box checked

Put in D3, hit load pictures or background or whatever it says and....

BOOOOM its going to work. i can 'feel' it ;)

If this doesnt work using my mac im going to be bummed and have to use the p.c. i built for the lady.. I gave her a 3.0 prescott 2 1/2 years ago and she wasnt even the slightest bit impressed. Oh well, time to build her a monster she will underuse again im sure :).... RANT!

Thanks again everyone for chiming in and helping me figure this WAY TOO ASKED QUESTION but really, i needed the help and you guys came through just like my audi forum... Nice to see not one RTFM (although i have, several times... its nice to know what your new toys can do... ya know?).

Longest Post Ever,

SP!

yeah no kidding. She loves using my powerbook so after i get her this d3 for her passat im going to get her a macbook. its easy and enough and more than enough for the med school stuff she does... how scientific did that sound? Good job on the mini, i was thinking of getting one for the entertainment center. The powerbook looks great hooked up to the 42".

SP!

Shoot! almost forgot so i tried the burning with toast method for mac and it didnt work. When i drop the folder in it names the disc PICTURES and the and puts the jpgs outside of any folder so i kept that as it was then created a 'new folder' and renamed it PICTURES dropped my original photos in there with the other ones still on the outside (i thought i coulduse them as dummy files). Anyway, i don''t know what is going on now, i have tried all methods the only thing i can think of is if i used a CD-RW i just grabbed it off a spool at work and don't have it front of me. Has anyone had any luck with a regular CD-R? Thanks again you guys.

P!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know why so many people are having problems... i downloaded the current nero demo, burnt a folder of pictures and a bunch of crap to fillin a hundred or so megs... and popped it into the d3 and it worked fine... i did notice however that if your too anxious and attempt to access the folder on the unit before it has fully read the disc... you cant get into it... so i popped it in waited for a bit , then attempted to change the images and it worked fine...Hope it helps

• 2 months later...

Seems like from what you guys are saying is that I can just pop in a CD-R (not a DVD-R) into my imac and throw some appropriate sized jpgs on it with some "dummy" word files on it, so the disc is full with at least 150mb of data (as i read in another post). Then I put this disc into the DVD NAV slot on my AVIC-D2 and can just select the background picture i want and eject the disc and insert the original dvd nav dic back into the slot? Seems too easy and illogical seeing as the D2 doesnt have a writable hard drive...right? From reading the walkthrough on how to do it with a pc its much more complicated than that. Downloading a couple programs...which arent compatable with macs, and replacing the image files with the new ones, then burining another nav dvd. HELP! :shock: