AVIC411.com

Well, for those who own both you may have, or may not have, discovered that the iPhone causes the AVIC-N3 to "ATT" (mute) randomly. I have a Mini Cooper and the cup holders are directly under the stereo. Which just happen to be the most convienent place for the iPhone. Unfortunately, what I've learned is that when the iPhone is in the cup holder, it causes the interference. However, when you move the phone away from the unit, say in the rear cup holder, passenger seat or pant pocket, the iPhone doesn't cause any interference.

On a different note, i'd like to know who has been successful at connecting the iPhone to the AVIC-N3? Also, is there any way to get the video from the iPhone to play on the AVIC-N3?

• 1 month later...

I hooked up the CD-IB100II and the iPhone works fine (audio only) with the AVIC-N3. As mentioned before, the iPhone cannot be located within two feet of the AVIC without causing the ATT mute to activate randomly. My solution, I ran the cable under the center console and mounted the connector inside the bottom of the cup holder located between the driver and passenger seat. Simply drop the iPhone into the cup holder and the iPhone is connected.

Is it possible to hack the CD-IB100II so it plays video through the iPhone? I assume this would be the same for iPod's too.

Only other option for video is the Apple AV out cables.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... e=MB125G/A

The bus cable doesn't have the capability of transferring video through it. Thats why the CDI200 has its own connection on the D3 and N4

I realize this, but there has to be a way to hack the CDIB100II or AVIC-N3 software to make this work? With all the video iPods out there, I'm surprised no one has tried to make this a reality.

ok, so it's nothing you probably haven't seen before, but I thought I would share this with you. This is installed in a 2006 Mini Cooper. Currently, I have the AVIC-N3 with back up camera, XM with NavTraffic, and the iPod/iPhone CD-IB100II. I created a custom dock connection for the iPod/iPhone mounted in the bottom of the rear cup holder between the driver and passenger. This is the best location for the iPhone due to the interferance with the radio. Below are some pictures of the install.

iPhone_holder.jpg

iPhone_inserted.jpg

AVIC_iPhone.jpg

Since I cannot get video from my iPhone into my AVIC-N3, I've decided to go with the AppleTV. Besides, I will gain a fully intergrated computer.

AppleTV.jpg

Pros:

- More storage (160GB) than iPhone or iPod.

- Front Row with remote (access AV content)

- Hacked to run OSX

- Digital Audio out (AVIC only takes analog)

- HDMI to DVI video out (possibly to Xenarc 7" touch screen), but would prefer to go through AVIC video

Cons:

- Power supply DC-DC converter (http://mikegyver.com/IdeasnProducts/AppleTV/index.html)

- HDMI to DVI to Composite, converters to tap AVIC video (not ideal, but should work)

I'm sure I'm going to run into other hurdles, but it's nothing that cannot be overcome. Thoughts? Input? Suggestions? All appreciated.

Thanks. -m

• 4 weeks later...