AVIC411.com

Anyone with an M3 and use one of these units?

So I talked to 2 different BMW dealers. Both of these guys say first, that do not recommend any aftermarket systems (of course they will say this). They do say:

"BMW does not recommend installing aftermarket Electronics in the vehicle Electronic.

As long as the aftermarket unit is not hooked up to the BMW electronic - ASSIST will work." (I don't know exactly what this means).

Anyway, for any of you who really want to retrofit a double din nav into an M3, check this thread out

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359575

"BMW Electronics" include the stock deck. Once it's removed, it'll stop working. Oddly enough, convienence features, such as metric/imperial settings on the dash, auto lock, daytime running lights, etc. can't be reprogrammed by the dealer GT1 computer after the stock deck is taken out. Only the currently set settings stay. Why they designed it like that is beyond me.

as for the low-jack purposes....I have always kept Assist as a contact in my phone...just in case....and even if you don't pay for the service....you can call them to find your car's location, if stolen.....but being that you have the business HU....how would they find your car anyways....I thought that was solely a GPS/NAV feature??? I may be quite a bit

quote]

assist location service do not your navigation system. your assist module basically has a verizon (cdma) cell phone built in. it uses the same technology as 911 operators have to find you. assist will also dial 911 in the event your airbags deploy and contact your car to see if you're ok.

OEM nav functionality sucks, but it looks a lot better than the avic installed (with the bezel which is $250). oem also integrates with assist, oem bluetooth, steering wheel, and even boost your cell signal( given you have shark fin antenna and cell docking station).

oem nav software is updating quite frequently though. they add minor features and enhancements. the interface can be customized through software hacks. this includes backgroungs, icons, colors, splash screens, etc

oem assist and bluetooth will not work with anything except the business CD or oem nav. also installing the oem is a pain in the @$$. it requires ripping out entire interior (pillars, trunk liner, all seats, door sill, glovebox, parts of dash, center console).

i spent about $2700 on used parts and $600 on install on the oem nav on a 04 m3.

hope this helps!

I know i haven't posted on here in a minute, but I just saw your thread.

I have an 02 M3 where I put in the Z1. I did the install myself and got the bezel from Mybimmer.net. I put in the bluetooth, steering wheel controller thing (sorry forgot the name of it), XM Traffic and iPod connector (in the ash tray).

>

More pics here:

http://web.mac.com/jeremiahconnelly/iWe ... im....html

Hit me up if you have any other questions.