AVIC411.com

Anyone with an M3 and use one of these units?

I have an 05 BMW M3. I have factory bluetooth and BMW assist. I now only have the business CD and want to retrofit a Z2. What I need to know is, will the factory bluetooth be compatible with this unit? If not, and I need to get the pioneer bluetooth adapter, will I be able to use the phone controls on my steering wheel? Finally, will installing an aftermarket unit affect the BMW assist?

I really like the phone controls on my steering wheel and use the BMW assist as a "LoJack" system, I don't want to loose either. I also don't want to shell out big bucks for OEM BMW nav that has no touchscreen.

Thanks

DOOOOD....I just installed one in my 03 Silverado.....and now I'm wanting to replace the stocker in my....LOL....this is funny... 05 BMW M3....as well....cause...as you probably know...it sucks....LOL.....

but I'm now very curious to know as well...as I KNOW it will be worth it in every way....but only if I can get as good of an install as I got with my truck.....

I pretty much have the same setup....got NAV...but don't pay for Assist...and factory BT(which does work very good)....

but only the NAV blows....as well as the HK upgrade....

654923425_l.jpg

I have an 05 BMW M3. I have factory bluetooth and BMW assist. I now only have the business CD and want to retrofit a Z2. What I need to know is, will the factory bluetooth be compatible with this unit? If not, and I need to get the pioneer bluetooth adapter, will I be able to use the phone controls on my steering wheel? Finally, will installing an aftermarket unit affect the BMW assist?

I really like the phone controls on my steering wheel and use the BMW assist as a "LoJack" system, I don't want to loose either. I also don't want to shell out big bucks for OEM BMW nav that has no touchscreen.

Thanks

I have an M3 Cab and the Z2. Factory bluetooth is gone, you need the pioneer bluetooth adapter (which sucks BTW compared to the BMW one). The business CD is single DIN, to get double din to work you have to buy a double din bezel (which sucks BTW), have to cut the vents up and reseal it so it clears the back of the Z2 (which sucks BTW), and pay BMW for a climate control relocation kit which makes you lose your sunglasses holder (which sucks BTW). Finally, BMW assist wont work (which sucks BTW).

On a good note, I have the PAC SWI-PS so all my buttons on the steering wheel works with the Z2. And the music library rocks.

My advice, if you don't need the library, go with a single DIN pioneer NAV unit. Much less headaches, better ipod integration, and better bluetooth.

Thanks for the feedback. I also talked to an excellent installer who has worked on a few M3s. He also told me factory bluetooth would be lost. Also no more BMW assist. I knew about the massive retrofit job, this guy had pics of his work and looked great. The labour plus parts (not including nav unit) would run $500. Not bad for what BMW says is a 8.5 hr job. They would have charged $2500 including crappy OEM nav.

Now I have to really think if I want to get rid of BMW assist, which again is a great safety feature and acts as a "LoJack" and just use a portable Tomtom or Garmin. I also like the factory Bluetooth with seamless integration.

Decisions decisions.

Awesome feed back.....well...for me at least... :P:P:P

I think...I hope.... :lol:

I have the factory NAV, in which appears to be double DIN...and I could care less about assist....although they gave me a year free when I ordered the car....but I have never used it, nor do I know when...where...why....I would....

as for the low-jack purposes....I have always kept Assist as a contact in my phone...just in case....and even if you don't pay for the service....you can call them to find your car's location, if stolen.....but being that you have the business HU....how would they find your car anyways....I thought that was solely a GPS/NAV feature??? I may be quite a bit throwed off here.... :?:

but I pretty much assume that with the Z2...you will indeed lose this feature.....

the only thing that I truly like about the OEM BT.....is that it will pull contact info......as the Z2 will not....but the OEM stuff seemed very picky about phones it likes....to name a few....it liked the RAZOR....but not the SLVR.....it liked the HTC8525....but not the HTC8125.....in which both phones are very similar....BUT...as of now I own an Iphone(not very happy with it...yet) an the OEM stuff works beautiful with it.....the Z2 works great, except that it doesn't pull the contact info....other wise functions awesome....my only real concern here, is how to integrate the mic....the factory mic and it's location works great....I like the Z2's mic....and it works pretty damn good in the factory location in my truck....which is in a horrible location(directly above my head in the headliner)

my main concern was really the steering wheels controls.....and it sounds as if I can get at least factory equivalent functionality out of it by using the PAC module mentioned..... :D:D:D

now if I can find a way to lose and clean up that stupid factory shark fin of a GPS antenna I have

forgive the dirty rig....they are re-paving my road...so the M has been sitting on the bench, until they're done..... :cry:

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01254.jpg

there goes my buzz..... :(
HUH???

yeah...I was a little slow on my post, and you snuck yours in there...LOL

but it was in reference to:

If you have the double din factory NAV, the install is worse. New wires have to be pulled from the trunk, and you'll still have to cut up the vents, which come from the factory to only clear the factory NAV.