AVIC411.com

Thoughts on car play?

I have been using CarPlay via an 8000NEX headunit since 12/14 and unfortunately CarPlay has been the buggiest software I have EVER used. 

I use CarPlay for everything except directions and when CarPlay works it's a thing of beauty - a clean and elegant extension of iOS on the Pioneer headunit.  But for whatever reasons apps and Siri constantly stop working, or work erratically, and more often than not the only way to fix this is by restarting the phone and/or restarting the car (as the Pioneer doesn't have a reset feature).  To give you an example I'll share what happened just last night - I was listening to music via Pioneer's Pandora interface, switched over to CarPlay and everything just stopped working.  Restarted the phone and CarPlay still wouldn't work.  I literally had to pull over, turn off my car, and then turn the car back on to get CarPlay to work again.  I have noticed apps getting better as updates have come out but if you're a longtime user of Apple products that has become spoiled by things working as they should out of the box, you will find CarPlay to be a very un-Apple like experience.

This has been my experience exactly.  Sometimes it works, most the time it does not even when I turn car off, reset the Pioneer unit, turn carplay off and on via the unit, and the phone, even restoring iPhone seems useless etc. etc.,  I have a iPhone 6 running 8.3 with the NEX 4000.   

I have a 2014 Honda CR-V and a Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX and am using a PAC RP4-HD11 to integrate SWC/Bluetooth buttons. PAC has awesome phone/email support, very responsive, every issue resolved!

I tried the Maestro SW then the RR, and finally gave up after being strung along for months by their support who denied the i-Mid clock problem (now they've acknowledged it, but I've moved on).

I bought the 5000 to save money, but in hindsight I wish I had bought the 8000...but maybe it was a good thing, now that the 8100 is out...nah, I'll wait for the Parrot RNB6 to hit the shelves.

http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/ces-2015-parrot-rnb6-the-most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/