AVIC411.com

Thinking about pulling the trigger but one thing I'd like to address

So I know the AVIC-5000 has a usb port in the back of the unit, and comes with an extension chord, but I was wondering how would I wire that extension chord so that I can plug in my phone to it? This will be my first after market navigation system that I will be installing. Do I have to drill a hole or something to wire it out? How does everyone else deal with this?

For my install, the extension cable just sticks out the side of the center console panel near the floor right next to the driver seat.  You can't see it come out, and it doesn't stick out more than about an inch.  I leave the Lightning cable plugged in to it, so there's just a white cable that comes up next to the driver's seat.  The 5000 actually has 2 USB ports.  I bought a 2nd extension (it only comes with one), and that one sticks out at the same place on the passenger side.  That lets a passenger plug in as well, though I don't leave that lightning cable plugged in all the time; only when necessary.

Search posts on the 5000, you may want to reconsider. I know $, can be a factor, but many have regretted. With the 4000/4100, you have larger, removeable screen, remote control, Hdmi. The phone maps, are updated free and on a regular basis, the pioneer navi, is still waiting for avic sync, and upgrades are expensive, Most members prefer the phone navigation over pioneer navi. Just a thought, for you to explore before laying out the dollars.

Hmm.. Good idea. I primarily wanted this thing for Carplay, and Navigation when my phone runs out of data. I guess HDMI can be a pretty good plus too!
After doing a little bit of searching I think I will go with the 4000!

ptkdude, can you maybe take a picture of what you mean by that? 

In my 370Z I installed two of these PAC extendersin my center console for my 8000NEX. I didn't use the mounting bracket, I just drilled two holes and ran the wires. They didn't have to be screwed in or glued or anything, there are flanges on either side of the USB ports that hold them securely in place. They sit flush and look 100% OEM.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MW6HRO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1