AVIC411.com

'03 Lincoln Aviator & the AVIC-Z1

I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer. Hope someone can help me out. I took my Avic-Z1 to be installed and I was told that if they installed it, I wouldn't be able to use my rear DVD entertainment center any longer as it is controlled by the factory radio. I verifyied this by reading posts on other forums. One way arond this my installer told me, wolud be to install the factory radio under my seat so I can still use the rear DVD. This too was verifyied by reading various posts. My installer also said he would look into an interface that could be connected to the AVIC-Z1 so that the rear DVD entertainment center could be used. So my question is: Does anyone know if such an interface exists? I read a post in a Lincoln forum about someone with the same problem and he was told to try this forum. I searched for such a question, but couldn't find any such posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

there is a metra harness for this issue, 70-5520av, but it doesnt work for all ford systems. i have done the aviator with the move the radio trick though.

Have you heard of anyone having success with the 70-5520av? I actually called Metra and they said the 70-5520av only works about 30% of the time and he doubts it will work in the Aviator. I guess I'll have to do the radio move. Can you tell me where you mounted the old radio?

• 1 month later...

I had the same connector problem with my 2003 Eddie Baur Expedition. I replaced the factory navigation system with the Z2. I purchased 4 different connector sets that didn't fit anything. [scosche and Metra]

Seems that in the first model year of 2003 body style, there were the early and late wiring setups and even another one that is a hold over from earlier models. I finally had to drive down to a local shop where some nice guys just kept going back to their store room until they found me connectors that would fit.

The speaker and power connectors that finally fit said 1998 and up on the package.

I still don't have a connectors to mate to my sub, steering wheel or rear seat video player. I thought I had just about used up my favors at that shop.

After purchasing the connectors they found me, I give them all the connectors that everyone else had sold me as a little thank you. They thought that was pretty funny and were happy.

Also, based on wire colors I found here and elsewhere, I cut into 4 different wires in the right hand kick harness looking for the backup wire. Still no luck. None of the normal 2003 colors match yet.

I am still looking for the following:

VSS Wire

Backup Wire

Rear Seat Video Connector

Steering Wheel Connector

Sub-Woofer Connector

However, even without these items, the Z2 is really GREAT. I love it.

For $15 I purchased a Ford 2003 wiring manual for the Expedition and Navigator from EBAY. Maybe I will have some luck with that.

Greg

• 4 months later...