AVIC411.com

Is anyone else utterly disappointed with 8.4 and its lack of improvement to the CarPlay Music app?

CarPlay was billed as this system that would end the march of obsolescence in your car because HEY as your phone gets better with software updates and you upgrade it with newer and newer iPhones, CarPlay too will get better! Right?

Well Apple Music just launched. With it came a fully rebuilt music app integrating huge improvements to music discovery, and customized playlists and whole new ways to discover music, and the up Next feature that more or less lets you build playlists on the fly. Did any of this make it to CarPlay? NO!

I got the same interface I had before the update. No change. The one place where I listen to 95% of my music I can take advantage of none of the new features using CarPlay. Well i take that back. Half of 1 features is accessible. I can start the Beats 1 radio station in CarPlay. Then the only button I get is a big fat Stop button and nothing else.

If I hear a new song I like on Beats 1 I gotta pull out my phone and add it to my music from my phone. Can't on CarPlay.

If I love the style of music they are playing and want apple to remember that the next time they try to suggest songs for me, I gotta do that on my phone.

If am listening to an album and I want to set another album to start after that album runs its course I gotta do that from? Yep you guessed it! The phone. Carplay has become no more useful at managing my music than the built in iPod controller that already came with my NEX 4000. And I still can't see album art. At least with the built in iPod app I can do that. Stupid stupid stupid. I'm ten seconds from just tossing the whole thing and starting the process of installing an iPad in my dash. 

i got tired of huge cell phone bills due to music streaming and went back to CD's.  I'm getting about 3-4 new CD's a month with money i save on streaming spending. Im burning my music in FLAC files and couldn't be happier. What a difference in sound quality.  Makes you appreciate your music in it't truest form. I'm done with Sirus and done with Streaming..  I spent a lot of money on my NEX Stereo system and now i'm getting every inch and penny out of excellent quality music..    Try it,  you will love it!!  

The custom playlists from Apple Music are in the new 8.4 CarPlay, as well as any streamed song or album tagged to "My Music". They just show up in My Music on CarPlay.

I doubt that you will get music discovery features in CarPlay due to the interactive nature of it, but I would like to a "For You" tab in CarPlay.

The custom playlists from Apple Music are in the new 8.4 CarPlay, as well as any streamed song or album tagged to "My Music". They just show up in My Music on CarPlay.

I doubt that you will get music discovery features in CarPlay due to the interactive nature of it, but I would like to a "For You" tab in CarPlay.

My Music? Do you mean that when you choose to add a playlist from the For You tab, that it will then show up in my playlists, or do you mean that there is a "My Music" button that I am not noticing in CarPlay?

My Music? Do you mean that when you choose to add a playlist from the For You tab, that it will then show up in my playlists, or do you mean that there is a "My Music" button that I am not noticing in CarPlay?

In the iPhone music app. You can add a song, album or playlist to your My Music and can see it on the iPhone, iTunes or CarPlay. It exists right along with any music you may have in your existing iTunes library.

All I know is, since installing 8.4 my CarPlay has been crashing like crazy. I went from having zero problems with it to having it crash every 90 seconds or so.

Actually, I want to take this comment back. I noticed that my iPhone was low on remaining storage space--under 300MB--and when I deleted some stuff and cleared up more room, CarPlay started working perfectly again. So, not 8.4's fault,

I have plenty of space (over 12gb) and mine is pretty much non useable with CarPlay after 8.4, so turned it off and just using the on board music player on my NEX 4000

I did find resetting the NEX seemed to make a big difference, but after one use, would then revert to freezing/crashing constantly.

I have a few newfound frustrations today.

1. There is no way to shuffle (via "button") artist with the new music player.

2. If I use Siri to shuffle artist songs from albums not physically saved to my iPhone are played. This is most likely due to Apple Music being active but I do not want this.