AVIC411.com

Does the 8100NEX have a compass output?

I recently replaced the aging RNS-510 in my 2013 VW Passat TDI with a 8100NEX and I'm very happy with this change. This OEM head unit had a compass output on the MFI (multi function instrument between speedo- and tachometer), which was independent from the navigation. This compass info wasn't vital but it was convenient. Someone mentioned that the original compass module sits somewhere in the trunk lid and should be disconnected once the RNS-510 is removed.

Does the 8100NEX provide a compass output that could be routed via the Maestro RR to the MFI? Or can the original compass be integrated into the Maestro RR module to continue working? Or do I now have to simply live without the compass display on the MFI?

I recently replaced the aging RNS-510 in my 2013 VW Passat TDI with a 8100NEX and I'm very happy with this change. This OEM head unit had a compass output on the MFI (multi function instrument between speedo- and tachometer), which was independent from the navigation. This compass info wasn't vital but it was convenient. Someone mentioned that the original compass module sits somewhere in the trunk lid and should be disconnected once the RNS-510 is removed.

Does the 8100NEX provide a compass output that could be routed via the Maestro RR to the MFI? Or can the original compass be integrated into the Maestro RR module to continue working? Or do I now have to simply live without the compass display on the MFI?

I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a separate compass function on display dash, along with a lot of other vehicle information. Maestro specific for my vehicle retained this info and also offered some other integration with my radio. I would check the options Maestro for vehicle to see what is retained.

Thanks captkirk, that's good news, though a question still remains: does the 8100NEX have an integrated compass, GPS based or otherwise? That would help investigate the next step, whether to disconnect the OEM compass module and let the 8100NEX compass do its thing, or, if that's not an option, find out how to integrate the OEM compass with Meastro to make the compass show up on the dash display.

Thanks captkirk[/size], that's good news, though a question still remains: does the 8100NEX have an integrated compass, GPS based or otherwise? That would help investigate the next step, whether to disconnect the OEM compass module and let the 8100NEX compass do its thing, or, if that's not an option, find out how to integrate the OEM compass with Meastro to make the compass show up on the dash display.

I haven't found one. You might try to see if you can run a compass app through car play.

Direction of travel is one of the items you can dispaly in the Display Data section of the map screen (left side, middle), at least when you don't have an active route. See page 67 of he manual.

I just looked in the manual and I could not find this feature on page 67. What setting should I be looking for?