AVIC411.com

NEX 5000 map weirdness just now

Just tried to use the NEX maps and after waiting for 45 seconds while the "wheel" turned on the Disclaimer page, the screen goes blank. The after a few seconds, a small rectangle pops up with the words "Loading iGO..." and another smaller "wheel" turning....and nothing happens. Screen goes blank. No NEX maps at all. Nothing. Back to home screen and touching either the Map (red arrow) screen button or the Navi button does anything at all. I even removed the faceplate to reset the unit and had the same symptoms. 

Firmware is 1.11. Not sure what map firmware is but everything until now has run perfectly fine. 

Any ideas at all? This is a weird one. I've never seen the iGo message, ever.

Thanks all.

EDIT: is this something to do with AVICSync? I don't have the app on my phone at all (iPhone 6). Seems like iGO is the map software. Can I re-download the map data again at all???

Yeah....but herein lies the problem. I have no way of connecting my laptop to my 5000. I'm not opening up my dash to extract the HU it any more. Sucks I know. Which means that I can't use the Naviextras toolbox tool. I've tried to see if I can just download the software but no, you need to be able to connect the 5000 to a laptop. There's no option just to download the Maps as is.

Anyone know how to get just the maps software? Or maybe I should try to reinstall the new 1.11 firmware? Maybe that may do the trick?

You don't directly connect your computer to the HU.  You use a USB drive that transfers info from the HU to the computer and then from the computer to the HU.  Go to the Naviextras website and sign up for an account and download the toolbox software to your computer.  They have very clear instructions on how to do this.  Here is the link for you:

https://pioneer.naviextras.com/shop/portal/p2howto-guide?guide=Toolbox

Also, I would delete AVICSYNC off your phone.  I would then try and get the 5000 to log onto the maps.  Might be a hang up with that feature which is what the 1.11 update was all about.

Naviextras is extremely simple to use, and updating maps along with needed patches is pretty easy if you follow the instructions above.  Good Luck.

Yea, it was very easy.... 

what it does is add a folder to the flash drive (with some sub folders and a file or two), this all from the HU in the settings....

Then when you plug that into your Windows computer (I was upset that no Mac), the Navi software sees it and you just tell it to download the latest update.

I'm not sure if they will want to charge for that, lets hope that it will just allow you to download the files from when your 5000 was new.   8)

You don't directly connect your computer to the HU.  You use a USB drive that transfers info from the HU to the computer and then from the computer to the HU....

Thanks BUT....is a USB drive mandatory? Again: I cannot remove the HU to access the HU's USB ports. I can use the MicroSD card slot instead. Is it possible to use the SD card in place of a USB drive??

OK furthermore: I assume I have to go to HU somewhere (forgive the stupidity) and backup or transfer or do something to get a "copy" of my HU data onto the MicroSD card (I have a 16GB one laying around). Please let me know where this setting would be, TYVM.

You could buy one of those MicroSD adapters that allows you to use it as a USB drive.  Im not sure if you can use the nav sync tool on the HU to communicate with the MicroSD.  You can try.  I don't understand why you didnt use the USB extension cord from USB1 in your HU? You are missing out on the ability to update the unit, connect an ipod, use carplay, ect..ect.. It is worth pulling the HU, plugging in the extension cord, and running it to your glove box.  What did you do with the USB extension cord that was provided when you bought your 5000NEX?

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CD-U150E-1-5M-Extension-Cable/dp/B001NGPL22

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfansion-5Gbps-Super-Reader-Adapter/dp/B00X932YNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456263107&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+sd+usb+adapter

I don't understand why you didnt use the USB extension cord from USB1 in your HU? ....What did you do with the USB extension cord that was provided when you bought your 5000NEX?

USB1 on the HU has a lightning cable in it for my iPhone.

USB2 is empty

The problem is that getting access to the HU is a complete pain in the sphincter now. The dash framework around the HU is getting ready to break and if I pull it out 1 more time it will break and that's a $150 part (yes I checked).

Does someone make a Lightning female to USB female adaptor then? No? Crap, maybe that's the only way....

But thanks for the info. I'll try and see if I can make a backup using the SD card. I mean, why the hell did Pioneer put it there in the 1st place? That's a really idiotic piece of engineering if every time you need to update the HU you need to access the BACK of the device. When it's installed INSIDE a car's dash. Really smart that. Even if there's an extension cord, that's just stupid design. At least put a USB jack on the front, that would make more sense.

UPDATE: well I re-installed the 1.11 firmware and hoping it would kick the unit in the gonads maybe, but no dice. Still have the original problem. I can't access any of the Nav screens at all. Still says "Loading iGO..." and then a blank screen. Means I can't do this step at all as there's noting on the screen: http://tinyurl.com/jkanw58

This SUCKS. I think it's time to call Pioneer. Damn damn double damn. Anyone got a suggestion?

I have the exact same problem.. Been this way for awhile now, I've tried updating/patching/rollback firmware.. no luck.

Were you even able to get the Naviextras map updates procedure done like has been suggested above? I can't even get into the Nav settings at all as the screen is just a blank

I have all the same problems as above with the exception of....when i went back to 1.10 I now get a screen that says "Initialization error LoadLanguage failed". Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank. Already started the Pioneer factory repair procedure. Unit is obv out of warranty so that's an $80 fee right away. Crapola.

• 3 weeks later...

My 8000 just did this yesterday. Navi worked fine Sunday, yesterday (monday) I tried to change the clock by going into the navi settings. Stuck on "Loading iGo" (which I've never seen it do) and then returns to black screen. I (luckily) have one month left on the warranty so it's going back to Pioneer today. Not sure why we can't re-flash software on our end, I'm not expecting a quick turnaround.

My 8000 just did this yesterday. Navi worked fine Sunday, yesterday (monday) I tried to change the clock by going into the navi settings. Stuck on "Loading iGo" (which I've never seen it do) and then returns to black screen. I (luckily) have one month left on the warranty so it's going back to Pioneer today. Not sure why we can't re-flash software on our end, I'm not expecting a quick turnaround.

Im guessing the next thing you did was factory reset the unit and what was the result?

Im guessing the next thing you did was factory reset the unit and what was the result?

Tried reinstalling latest firmware, no change. Then factory reset, same. Pulled and reapplied power, still no change. Since it's under warranty (one month left) I decided that even if I was able to get it working I was going to send it back to Pioneer. Crutchfield and Pioneer both said it needed to go back to pioneer to be repaired.