AVIC411.com

4100nex bad radio reception, sub engine noise and app issue

Hey guys, I just installed a new 4100nex in my 2014 Toyota avalon and the radio reception is really bad compared to the oem stereo.

I bought it from Crutchfield and also bought the harness available that let's me keep my back up camera. I connected the antenna power wire but the reception is still weak.

The reverse wire on the harness I bought didn't connect to anything on my cars harness side so I'm wondering if it's the same thing. Can I connect the antenna power wire to a switched 12v power source like the ignition wire on the pioneer harness to fix the reception?

Also, I have bad engine noise on my sub output. If I unplug the rca's from my deck, the noise goes away. I called Crutchfield and they are sending me a pac noise filter that has a grounding wire. Haven't got it yet but if that doesn't work is there anything else I can do or just swap it for another radio?

If I set the smart phone connection to USB and plug my phone in, the app icon lights up but if I select it it says reading device (or something) do not unplug. That won't go away and I can't use any apps besides the android auto when I choose that option on the smartphone options.

Anyone have any advice?

As far as radio reception, I'll assume you mean AM/FM HD radio, not Sat Radio.

did you have to adapt the am/fm antenna in any way, or did it just plug directly in.... if it didn't maybe it's the converter... otherwise it's hard to say...

the filter should help, maybe better grounding will help too.

What smart phone and USB1 or USB2?

Android Auto takes over everything, you get that or the built in.

I seem to remember that the new NEX can auto detect iphone or Android.... it might be trying to do that.  See if there is anything on the phone asking permission to do something...

The antenna plugged in directly. I need to look again to be sure about the other plug for it.

I soldered some wire to the outside of the rca cables connecting them and grounded that to the radio body. I also tapped into the pioneer harness ground and added a wire to it grounding that on a bolt that holds up my vent system near my radio that had good ground. Nothing helped.

I tried both usb's and one would say incompatible usb device and the other worked for android auto. My wife has the car so it's hard to remember

It's a aftermarket amp. Usually I would blame the amp but if I unplug the rca's, the noise and sound go away.

Even when I switch between sources. I also don't like the reversed picture on my backup camera. :(

I really liked this radio too

I think I might just get rid of this and buy my previous radio. The avh-8500

I took care problems I had except for not being able to connect my phone and use the radio apps icon, I don't mind though.

Radio reception is perfect  now since I connected the antenna blue power wire to the acc wire on my pioneer harness.

The noise filter crutchfield sent me took care of the engine noise :)

A couple of small issues, I actually like the loudness feature they removed and my sub doesn't hit as hard on the lower frequencies and my oem stereo did with a audiocontrol LC8. oh well

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same reception problem until i tapped onto the factory orange wire next to the antenna cables (one big and one small) to the 4100NEX remote blue/white cable, this will trigger and power on the antenna amplifier hidden at the rear quarter panel.