AVIC411.com

avic-x940bt what are the latest firmware/software updates available

All,

I could really use some clarification on what the latest versions for my device are.  I have seen some references to software version 6 for the x940bt, but when i check pioneers site it says the latest firmware for my device is 4.6.  i know my BT could be upgraded, but what is the latest version of the platform version and app version?  just so i understand the terminology is the firmware the same as the platform and app version? Is there an upgrade path, that must be be followed or can you just to the latest? ie. from 4 you have to go to 4.1 before 4.6

Lastly can the maps be updated on the older versions?  are there known issues ?

My device is a x940bt.

Platform Ver: 4.0

App Ver: 4.0

BT: 3.24

The latest app/platform version is 6.0 which comes with the 2015 map upgrade. This isn't available from Pioneer. They outsource their latest upgrades to Navigation.com The maps software is different in that is no longer uses NAVTEQ maps. It uses HERE maps (I know - odd name). You can buy it here 2015 maps, or, if you look around in the Hacks forum you might get it free (with a little work). I recommend first reading the installation doc Inst Manual

Bluetooth updates are also included to v3.32. You can install v6 directly over your old software. However, if you need (or will need) iPod Lightning support, I recommend installing Pioneer's v4.6 (to update your v4.0) first. According to the v6.0 installation documentation, either v4.6 or 5.1 must be installed to get Lightning AppRadio Mode support. Since you are still v4.0, you'd need this v4.6

Thanks RonS,

I appreciate you clearing that up. What is the recommended size for SD card for the upgrade ?  does it try to backup or store anything back onto the SD? i believe i have the info needed, but im nervous i might brick my hu.   in the install guide it talks about a pw, and its not with the info i have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does this upgrade change the functionality in anyway? For example, my two pet peeves are that scrolling music is very difficult and not to be attempted while driving (I prefer the up/down arrow buttons in other functions such as POI or destination history), and tuning the radio is also frustrating because the area to touch to increment/decrement the tuning frequency is very small - again, not to be attempted while driving. It would be nice if they made some improvements in these areas.

• 1 month later...

Does this upgrade change the functionality in anyway? For example, my two pet peeves are that scrolling music is very difficult and not to be attempted while driving (I prefer the up/down arrow buttons in other functions such as POI or destination history), and tuning the radio is also frustrating because the area to touch to increment/decrement the tuning frequency is very small - again, not to be attempted while driving. It would be nice if they made some improvements in these areas.

not that i'm aware of

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but those links you provided @RonS do not work anymore and the 1 link from pioneer is for lightning support and "if you do not own an iPhone 5 or a 5th gen iPod Touch, there is no need to install this update." Which I do not own any apple products. Strictly android and I have not had any luck locating the actual firmware update. My question, is there an actual firmware update for this head unit for everything including the maps?

• 6 months later...

Hi Folks,

I see a lot of focus on map updates, but..... given how smart phones now dominate navigation....is there a way to just update the bluetooth firmware without bothering with the maps?

I can't pair my iphone 15 with my AVIC-X940BT.  (I had an Iphone 7 that did pair successfully - after upgrading to application version 4.6 ).  For the iphone15 The head unit (slowly) finds the phone. The phone quickly finds the head unit...but the head unit keeps failing.

I've tried the two methods provided by the head unit,  1) let the phone find the head unit  2) head unit finds the phone.  I sometimes get to the point of entering the bluetooth pass code on the phone, enter it, but then .....fail.

My unit has bluetooth firmware version 3.24.

TIA,

Greenbone

Gonna post this in the troubleshooting thread. Sorry, I now see the the better option for this inquiry.

Edited by Greenbone
I posted in the wrong place, sorry