AVIC411.com

I recently updated the firmware on my AVIC5000-NEX.  The next morning, my car battery was dead with no apparent reason as to why(lights were not switched on, etc).  When I remediated the battery issue, my stereo was asking for a password.  I didn't install the radio(paid an installer) and I've never seen any password section of the interface, so I'm not sure where the password came from.  Regardless, I tried all combinations of passwords I would have set if I set it and forgot it to no avail.  Upon contacting Pioneer, I was told the only option was to send it in to have the password reset and pay the minimum 80$ charge.  I definitely could see how this would seem to be user error, so I complied and took my car to the original installer to have it removed.  They also had never heard of a password being on this model, which is concerning considering they install these for a living.  I've now been without a stereo since May 19th and am out of pocket at least $150 between shipping, repair, and installing/uninstalling costs.  In addition, the unit has been marked as repaired since 5/21 without a shipped date, so I have no idea when I'll actually have the unit back in my possession.  How this was to prevent theft is beyond me as the technician who set up the repair over the phone asked me no personal information and no personal information was tied to the unit prior to this incident.  My concern is not only that this happened because of the update, but that I can't prevent this from happening in the future.  Has anyone else seen a password on this model or had a similar experience?  I know I can't be the only one who has their units installed as opposed to installing it themselves; if it prompts to set a password during install, there's no way to obtain the password 2 years later when this happens.  This is a huge time and money sink for something they say is attempting to prevent "theft", but makes no sense considering there's no way they could've verified I owned the unit.  Any information or experience with this type of thing is appreciated.  Thanks!

The password is indeed a feature of the 5000. I had mine originally installed by a dealer in LA back in '13. Never had a password prompt ever, even after replacing battery a few times.

Then the iGo maps software took a dump in March. Sent it back to Pioneer to fix ($150 TYVM and th total time between shipping it to them and getting it back was a month). Still no password prompt.

Then, about 2 days after the re-install, I removed the faceplate (buttonplate more like) when I went through a car wash. When I put it back, a screen popped up and said "Do you want to input a password?" I'd never seen that ever in all my years of owning the HU (and even all the other times before when I took the button plate off). I pushed no and it said "Input password later?" &  "Never input a password?" I chose the latter and have never seen it again.

And yes, Pioneer is v good a separating your hard earned $$$ from your wallet. The PW reset that's listed in the manual is of no help when you can't remember the damn PW and get into the unit at all!

The password is indeed a feature of the 5000. I had mine originally installed by a dealer in LA back in '13. Never had a password prompt ever, even after replacing battery a few times.

Then the iGo maps software took a dump in March. Sent it back to Pioneer to fix ($150 TYVM and th total time between shipping it to them and getting it back was a month). Still no password prompt.

Then, about 2 days after the re-install, I removed the faceplate (buttonplate more like) when I went through a car wash. When I put it back, a screen popped up and said "Do you want to input a password?" I'd never seen that ever in all my years of owning the HU (and even all the other times before when I took the button plate off). I pushed no and it said "Input password later?" &  "Never input a password?" I chose the latter and have never seen it again.

And yes, Pioneer is v good a separating your hard earned $$$ from your wallet. The PW reset that's listed in the manual is of no help when you can't remember the damn PW and get into the unit at all!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a similar situation.  I'm super annoyed because I never got a prompt to even create a password, so I never thought about it until it popped up this time.  I can only assume the password was created when it was installed.  I guess it is neither here nor there how it got applied; when it gets back I'm going to check and see if it's in the menu somewhere and disable it.  It's not like it's easily stolen. Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.  I wonder if all unit manufacturers are like this or if it's just Pioneer.  I'm not sure I'd ever willingly deal with them again.  

Call Pioneer and ask them to check on the status and get you more info. I had to call them at pretty much every step of the process. Even had to call them to give them payment as they didn't contact me at all. Asshats

Just an update for you guys... I got my unit back and got it installed.  The installers plugged the USB cable into the wrong USB port and so I'm still without CarPlay until tomorrow, but other than that it is functional except the inability to update Bluetooth version, but that has been an issue throughout my owning the stereo.  I still have a super bad taste in my mouth regarding Pioneer after all of this and the bluetooth thing, but at least I have music >.<.  I appreciate everyone's help and input throughout this.  :)