AVIC411.com

Here is the issue. I have been using my AVIC-Z1 since last May. No issues at all. Lately though, I have been having some wierd issues though....

-No audio in front left speaker when volume is low. Once I turn the audio up louder, the audio comes on out of no where on the speaker in question.

-The front right speaker has audio coming out, but is very low. I have to turn up the volume really high in order to get the audio to the correct level. During this process - i hear a lot of crackling. Once the audio is normal, I can lower and resume listening to my music normally.

-FM works, AM does not. FM comes in perfectly fine but I do not recieve anything while on AM. NO clue.

-Lastly, it seems that all system sounds are no longer working on my unit. These sounds include: navigation audio (i verified that the volume is up loud and isn't muted), the voice activation menu does not have any audio, while pressing buttons (volume up/down, source, etc) I no longer hear any sounds. I know for a fact that this was working not to long ago.

All other audio works fine! Ipod, FM, CD, hard drive, etc.

I am pretty sure that I can figure out what the first two bullet point problems are after I perform some troubleshooting. However, if anyone has seen this could you tell me what the issue was? I am thinking maybe RCA or my AMP (Rock Fosg 500.4).

The third bullet point - I am not to sure what the issue is. Any ideas?

For the last issue, I don't have a CLUE what the problem is. I thought it may have been a setting that I pressed while navigating through menus. I restored factory defaults - but no luck. I even disconnected the car battery for 10 minutes, but that did not solve the issue. I am hoping that there isn't something wrong with my unit. Please be aware that audio works fine out of my ipod, dvd/cd, fm, and the local library.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

That is weird.

Don't mean to be a pain, but I would guess the external amp. Have you tried hooking the avic up to just the speakers using the built in amp? It's a long shot cause what you explain has me baffled. But I would guess it's the external amp, not some weird functionality of the Avic. I could be wrong but it's what I would lean towards.

Disconnecting the battery for 2 seconds or 10 minutes is the same as hitting the recessed button to the right of eject.

Did you do a level 4 reset? I can't remember which one of those it was. I think "reset to factory defaults" sounds right.

It's either some very weird problem with your avic, or a problem with your external amp. Or a problem with the preamp outs on the avic.

Sorry, I'm not much help. Just guessing.

But I would start taking things out of the equation. Pull out everything and run the avic off just speakers with the built in amp. See what happens.

I disconnected everything from the Z1 with the exception of the power/speaker harness. I hooked up one speaker to the unit and powered it on. Still no dice.

I called Pioneer support - but that ended up being a waste of time. The guy on the phone didn't seem to bright. Only thing he recomended was disconnecting everything - including the power for an hour. That should drain out everything inside the deck.

If that doesnt work - I dont know what the hell to do. Its over 1 year old - so if I send it in they are going to bang me with a repair fee. If I cant get it working - I will just have to make due with the fact that the nav won't speak to me and also that I do not have any system sounds :(

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I am pretty fed up with the fact I do not hear the navigation voice anymore or any of the system sounds.

I am thinking of sending it into Pioneer to get repaired. My question is - do they upgrade the firmware, etc automatically? I currently have the original firmware on this unit and am able to do the original bypass. If they do - is there a bypass for the new firmware?

Thanks.

OK - I am pretty fed up with the fact I do not hear the navigation voice anymore or any of the system sounds.

I am thinking of sending it into Pioneer to get repaired. My question is - do they upgrade the firmware, etc automatically? I currently have the original firmware on this unit and am able to do the original bypass. If they do - is there a bypass for the new firmware?

Thanks.

Try the latest update from Pioneer(freeze fix), first. It can be two wire bypassed.

by original, do you mean DucatiBoy's PCB?

Your best bet, before you send the unit out, is to have a knowledgeable installer go through your system. Where are you located? I'm sure someone on this forum can help personally. It sounds more like an install problem, not an AVIC problem.

Jimmy - I am a pretty knowledgable installer. I have a lot of experience with this type of technology.

I am going to do a total reinstall of the deck. I am going to unwire everything and while I have the deck out with the power harness attached - I am going to perform a test.

I am going to hook-up the following wires:

-Red Power

-Yellow Power

-Ground

This will allow me to turn the deck on while having absolutely NOTHING hooked up to it. I will then take a single speaker - and will wire it directly to one of the 50x4 speaker outputs on the deck.

If I still do not hear any of the system sounds (the dings, beeps, nav audio), I will perform a factory reset. If I STILL do not hear anything - I think it is safe to say that there is an issue with my unit. I will call Pioneer to confirm this.

I will definetly post back here to let you know how this adventure goes!!!!

Wish me luck!

So I took out the entire unit this weekend. I hooked up power, ground, and one speaker.

As soon as the unit turned on - i started to push buttons... Still no sound. I played a song off the hard drive - which worked fine.

Looks like I have a very strange issue with my Z1. I am going to have to send this thing into pioneer - but it has been out of warranty since april/may.

Has anyone dealt with having their unit repaired through Pioneer? Are we allowed to bring them to authorized dealers or must we mail them into Pioneer?

I am a very unhappy camper right now :(

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my unit into Pioneer and they were unable to confirm the issue.... They upgraded the firmware and sent it back to me Friday.... I HOPE that I get it back in working order.... If I get it back and it isnt actually fixed and is still acting the same I will call up Pioneer and flip out on them.... :(