AVIC411.com

Avic Z-2 Tele Atlas Databse

Its bad routing that pisses people off, and teleatlas doesn't do that part.

I don't know who's responsible for the Pioneer routing, but it is hands down the worst I have ever used. I sold a Z1 on ebay after using it for 3 weeks because the routing was so bad it made the unit virtually useless if good NAV operation is important to you (there are $200 NAV units available that are WAY better)

I have owned NAV/GPS units for years & the Pioneer was the biggest POS I have ever owned although it did provide some nice eye candy..........

~John

Actually, if you look at TeleAtlas' site, their maps are usually pretty darn reliable. Its bad routing that pisses people off, and teleatlas doesn't do that part.

On a side note...Nokia bought NavTeq yesterday for the low, low price of $8.1 Billion. Saw it on the home page of yahoo

you do make a good point, it is really the routing that's the factor. However, i do prefer navteq.

Thanks for the nokia information. I guess we can look forward to some impressive phone based gps.

• 1 month later...
Not to sound too harsh, but...

My house is almost 15 years old, and NONE of the Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine, or Tom Tom databases have it listed. Most will show where it is supposed to be. The navigation systems that are currently available from most manufacurers are supposed to be used as a GUIDE, not the end-all be-all.

Most people use their nav units to locate businesses, entertainment, gas, etc. and not individual houses. I can only imagine how big the database would be if it included all they do now PLUS every single house currently standing right now. Then you have an event like Katrina that wipes out entire TOWNS, and oops Pioneer needs to send out an update disk to everyone that has purchased a nav unit back to the old AVIC-80DVD.

The AVIC-Z1 is a great unit (even with it's flaws) so I would suggest if you are not happy with the product after a year of use, begin shopping for a replacement, and maybe even ask the salesperson to show you your house is in the database for the unit you are interested in. If not, maybe you should read the warning message that comes up when you turn the unit on.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Let me get on my soapbox ............... you're full of crap!

My wife's 2006 Accord nav had our 12yo house in its dB. My Z1 purchased 6months later did not. SO ...... you're saying you accept 12 - 15 year old maps, shoddy designs? If I had wanted a great sound system I wouldn't have purchased a Z1. I wanted a nav system that had an OK sound system. I received a crippled nav system with really old maps and the ability to save ONLY CDs to the HDD (which is OK ..... but not the primary function I was looking for in a NAV system).

Another point ..... the Accord nav functions are accessible ALL THE TIME. You want to type in an address on the fly, you can. None of this absolutely ridiculous removal of the HDD, imaging of the drive, 2 wire bypasses, switches, and circuit boards. Crazy.

But I have to admit ...... I've found the secret way to make three additional hidden buttons functional on the unit. You park the car in a dark garage, connect an external battery directly to the unit, turn the key on and off four times, while you open and close the trunk-lid, and you get the buttons. B1 changes the clock font color; B2 allow you to extend the display time of the warning screens; B3 disables, permanently, all other buttons. There is a HDD image coming that will eliminate you having to open and close the trunk-lid to get the buttons ...... only $49.95.

Stop harassing posters to this forum and get on the back of Pioneer. There IS no excuse for what they've done to cripple these units.

• 2 weeks later...