AVIC411.com

Crappy install kit!!! Front panel catches on trim ring Z2

Got my SRT8 back from the install shop - HORRIBLE kit!! When the front screen is opening, it catches on the trim bezel and stays at half open (or half closed for the optomists here) ... I looked to see what it was catching on and found it, then GENTLY lifted up on the bottom of the unit and VIOLA! it opened. I have the SCOSHCE install kit for a 2007 Dodge Charger, and upon looking at it, it's a POS made of plastic and the unit is hardly secured!!!! I pushed on it to test its strength only to have pushed the unit back in the dash. Took it out, worked on the screws, etc...still it doesnt hold the unit securely at all.

What otehr kits that are STRONGER than this piece of crap are out there for a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 with an AVIC Z2 radio??

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!

I did, the UNIT is fine, opened fine, plays fine, sounds fine ... after I drove the car for a bit, THEN tried opening the door is when this happened, the door remains half open unless I lift the unit up, which has about 1/16th" of play - shouldnt the unit be firmly secure w/o ANY movement?? The Scosche kit is the issue, cheap plastic snap in parts, that's why I'm looking for a metal cage of some sort, probably have to make it myself since nobody else seems to have a suggestion

Super glue is my friend when assembling these kits. I use Zap green and the spray activator (found at hobby shops) on all joints that will never need to come apart. (You don't want to trap your head unit in the kit forever) Just be careful if you use the spray activator, it will change the sheen on your kit, so block off what you don't want to look wierd. Oh, and the fumes will burn the hell out of the inside of your nose. Also, make sure the kit is mounted properly. If you still want abetter kit, try the Best Kits BKCDK-650. It's a good-looking kit, and strong....

http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResults.a ... 20-%202007

I'm with Jimmy on the glue. I have Metra products at my shop (both the kit and the glue/activator) and have been happy with the results for both. If you are still worried about movement you can backstrap the unit more securely in the dash. If you are still not happy with the results my last suggestion would be to take it to a machine shop or good welder in your area and have some custom metal brackets made to secure the unit in the dash to your likeing. Probably won't be cheap, but will be the only "metal" way to secure the unit as there is no "metal cage" available for your car that I am aware of.

so did your srt8 have the huge factory navi in it already? or did they make you go and buy the bezel?

ive found that its alot easier to build a double din kit than it is to make any double din look good in a metra kit. id like to see what unit they use as reference on the cutout for the double din. d3's fit fine but any z series always takes modification.

I bought the Metra kit for my Z1 install. I never thought of using crazy glue....

Did the screws that it come with work for you all? I had to find screws in my garage and cut them down in order to get this installed. If not - what screws did you guys use?

When I take my deck out this weekend - I am going to glue EVERYTHING on that plastic kit!