AVIC411.com

Can the ipod drain the car battery when car is off?

My car battery was totally drained the other day and I'm not sure what is draining it. I had the dash kit fixed on my car and had to take the deck (AVIC-D3) out and put back in. I left the car parked overnight and when I went back the next day, nothing worked on the car. The ipod was still fully charged, so I'm assuming it may have nothing to do with that. I've had the battery on the car for about 3 months now. Any thoughts of what this could be?

Today I got the car jumped started and drove over to get the battery tested; it tested good. I drove home and left it parked for about 4-5 hrs and went to try starting it with no problems. The next test is whether it starts tomorrow.

Is it ok to leave the ipod plugged in when the car is off? When I first plug it into the car, it's in the OFF position, so I ssumed that the ipod turns off by itself when the deck and car is off.

Even if the ipod was charging, it would take days before it drained an entire car battery. Do you have an amplifier installed? These are the biggest known drains on the battery. What other kind of acessories do you have installed in the car?

Test the amps when the ignition is off (the amps should not be drawing any power). You can connect a digital multimeter to the lead coming into the amp.

Check to see if there is any current being pulled from the battery while the ignition is off. Alot of times the amps are still drawing power while the ignition is off. Seeing how they were a recent install, maybe you just didn't notice the effects unitl now, or maybe you haven't left the car off for that length of time since the subs have been installed.

Just a thought.

There has to be a significant drain for the battery to die like that (ie: leaving head lights on). Often you can leave interior lights on overnight and be fine. Leave the headlights on for a couple hours and your screwed. So the point is, a cell phone or ipod (small device) will take days/weeks to drain a battery, you'll never see this effect. Now lights or an amplifier, a matter of hours.

I would check there first. Especially if you didn't do the install yourself.

Ju

Just to let you know... I drained my battery just by sitting in my car doing phone book entries with my key set on accessory. Was probably doing it for about a hour. The BT stuff must be a huge drain.

I then saw in the manual a few times where they say to have the car running anytime you're using the D3.

That'll never happen again.