AVIC411.com

Reverse camera as Rear view and Backup...?

I finally got my D3 installed with a Sanyo Back up camera. Real nice setup but I've read on here how you can switch back and forth between using it as a backup but then when you are going down the road you can hit a button and look behind you...? Am I way off? Crutchfield told me I can do one or the other if I have a 12V switch on the reverse lead but then I have to remember to hit the switch every time I put it in reverse...

Any way around this? I was hoping I could view my trailer if I needed to while going down the road... bummer. Crutchfield says it's a function of the D3 and not the camera and this damn Sanyo better be good for $300!

When on the map screen, hit the map button again and select rear view

Yes, I did that but it still didn't work. There is a reverse wire that is in the wiring harness to the camera brain that has a brown wire that was supposed to be hooked up to the reverse wire on my GMOS-04 Harness. I tried it and the camera wouldn't work. Bad harness... It is supposed to make everything easy and give you all the wires right there, parking brake, VSS, reverse wire etc... but the reverse wire did not work. I then bypassed the harness and went right to the reverse wire by the BCM. Camera then worked but only worked in reverse and not even when you hit MAP, view etc... Basically, the camera has to have 12V to that brown wire to the brain in order to work. I removed it from the reverse wire by the BCM and hooked it in line with the red/power wire. It's a Sanyo camera and so far I'm not impressed for the $300 price tag. I have yet to set up the alignment lines and the birds eye view but will do that first before I decide if I'm going to keep it.

Does anyone think hooking the brown reverse wire that goes to the brain to the ACC 12v will hurt anything. When hooked up to the reverse wire isn't that what it's getting when you hit reverse...? If so could it be designed for just short bursts of reverse power and if I hook it up long term to the ACC do you think it will damage the brain...?

My guess is it wouldn't hurt to power it to a 12v wire so you can use it anytime. Only reason to hook it to the reverse wire is so it just comes on then. The D3 has a reverse wire hook up so it knows when your in reverse and the camera automatically comes on. If you have it hook to a 12v and the d3 reverse hooked up, make sure you have the camera "on" in the AV settings.

My Boyo camera, which cost half of yours, is suppose to be hooked to a 12v acc.

My guess is it wouldn't hurt to power it to a 12v wire so you can use it anytime. Only reason to hook it to the reverse wire is so it just comes on then. The D3 has a reverse wire hook up so it knows when your in reverse and the camera automatically comes on. If you have it hook to a 12v and the d3 reverse hooked up, make sure you have the camera "on" in the AV settings.

My Boyo camera, which cost half of yours, is suppose to be hooked to a 12v acc.

Hope you are right... Yes, I'm going to set the Sanyo up with all the alignment stuff and see if it's truly worth the $300... I read Pioneer has one coming out that will do the same thing but it will be $400.

At the moment I'm not that impressed with the picture quality. Not sure if its the monitor setup but the picture is not as clear as I had expected. The one on my wife's Toyota minivan is much better. I know the Sanyo is a 1/4 CCD with 270K pixels. It seems to be a little staticky at nite and almost blurred during the day...

I installed a Boyo License Plate Cam this weekend and I was highly impressed with it.

I've seen the Pioneer and the Sanyo in other set ups with a D3 and honestly the BOYO has them all beat!!!

That's good to hear b/c my Sanyo is going back and I'm receiving the VTL-300 tomorrow... I'm looking forward to it!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello CamelTowing,

Can you explain a bit more about your last post? So I can hook up a camera to both constant 12V and the 12V that comes on when reverse is on. Wouldn't that send too much Voltage or Amps to the Cam?

I am getting a cam next week and I want to use it for both rear view and reverse.

Thank you

Carlos

The camera goes to accessory power...that way it is powered on when the car is on and still works when you go into the menu and press rear view while going forward.

Hook the reverse wire of the car to the reverse wire on the deck...it triggers the deck to put up the rear camera image on the screen whenever your reverse lights are on (ie, when you are backing up)