AVIC411.com

2004 Jetta GLI & the AVIC Z-1

Been reading all over the net regarding the AVIC Z1, the bypass, harnesses, mounting kits, ...... but I'm still left with questions.

will the avic z1 be able to be installed in my car? crutchfield.com says NO :(

the unit is being purchased brand new, what accessories do i need in order to do the install? I am already picking up the bypass offered here and have the harness. Do i need a DOUBLE DIN sleave/kit?

if i plan on going with XM Traffic, is it ok to wait and do that install later down the road, or will it be MUCH easier to just get it out of the way in one shot?

is there anything else i should be informed of? thanks.
Like any other install, one foul swoop is probably going to be easier, then again... once you've installed the Z1 and everything is working well, adding extra components is MUCH easier.

As you're already looking into adding IPBus components, maybe worth while getting an IPBus cable (eBay has these available) NOW and when installing the Z1, install the IPBus cable at the same time (this will connect to the OUT of the first component in the chain, it will save you from having to rip the car apart to install your first IPBus component.
The Z1 will fit in your GLI just like it fits in any other A4 chassis car. For convenience you'll want a double DIN sleeve (see the other VW thread in the General Forum).

I'm pretty sure the NavTraffic tuner requires a separate power and ground connection, so from a convenience standpoint it will be quite a bit easier to add it now while you're making all of your wiring connections, but it won't add a ton of work if you wait.
[quote name="skicrave"]The Z1 will fit in your GLI just like it fits in any other A4 chassis car. For convenience you'll want a double DIN sleeve (see the other VW thread in the General Forum).

I'm pretty sure the NavTraffic tuner requires a separate power and ground connection, so from a convenience standpoint it will be quite a bit easier to add it now while you're making all of your wiring connections, but it won't add a ton of work if you wait.[/quote]

You're right Ski. If he uses the IP BUS, all he will need is the yellow wire hooked to power (unswitched I believe) and the ground. The red wire is taped off and unused using the IP BUS.
DUDE...THE Z1 WILL FIT! i have a 2001 jetta glx all u need is the mounting kit ADT-VA133 i got mine off ebay for like 30$ and unless u got a euro switch id buy ducati's bypass even then id still get the bypass(i bought mine friday and recieved it 2day) only cuz i kept doin the flasher trick and somehow i blew the lights in my dash and i still cant find the source of it all my fuses are good so i donno. but i will fit dude so heres teh shpping list your gonna need...

ADT-VA133
DUCATI BYPASS
DREMMEL

now the dremmel is so u can go to town inside the dash to make it sit flush