AVIC411.com

Can't seem to extend Partition

I just restore the Z2 imagine from BigFloppy on the 60gig Toshiba and being that I'm running Vista, Partition Magic 8 was of no use for me. I tried both Disk Manager and DiskPart.exe as per

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how- ... ows-vista/

and

http://vistarewired.com/2007/04/07/how- ... esnt-work/

But I guess they do not support Fat or don't like the way that the partitions are stacked.

So I grabbed my GF's laptop with XP MCE loaded and tried Partition Magic on it, but my HDD was showing up "Bad" and I was unable to view each partition...I stuck the drive in the Z2 and it seems to run fine...Although I haven't recorded any music to it yet...

Just wondering what the deal is...Could it be because I was using a USB adapter?

And yes, I did disable the security. Any help is appreciated.. :wink:

Nope....I tried without the USB adapter and with the normal .25 adapter, I still get "bad" in Partition Magic...

WTF?

I've tried on Vista...XP...and now Win98se.....the drive seems to run just fine in the HU...even ripped a cd to it this morning....Could it just be PM8 that sucks? Or is it just impossible to extend a volume after the Z2 image?

Thanks.....I ended up just backing up everything on the last two partitions, then deleted them, and created them the size I wanted....

The only problem I had with that, is that Vista doesn't allow FAT32 to be any bigger than 32 gigs(go figure)....I tried on a Win98 machine, but I got agrivated with it....SO I made MSV 32 gigs and let USER have the rest....no biggy....what's 3 gigs... :roll:

Thanks.....I ended up just backing up everything on the last two partitions, then deleted them, and created them the size I wanted....

The only problem I had with that, is that Vista doesn't allow FAT32 to be any bigger than 32 gigs(go figure)....I tried on a Win98 machine, but I got agrivated with it....SO I made MSV 32 gigs and let USER have the rest....no biggy....what's 3 gigs... :roll:

That is strange. I am using both Vista and XP, and having no experience with even larger partitions.

That is strange. I am using both Vista and XP, and having no experience with even larger partitions.

Do you mean with NTFS?

From what I have found, with Vista/XP disk tools, is that 32gigs is max for FAT32. Win98 is a different story, but I got aggrivated as my 98 machine is limping.

While the FAT32 file system can support drives up to a standard theoretical size of 2 terabytes, (it "can" be jury-rigged under Windows Millennium Edition to support partitions of up to 8 TB). Windows 2000 Professional and XP Professional cannot FORMAT a volume larger than 32 GB in size using their native FAT32 file system.

The FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system, such as those created locally by Windows 98 or ME in dual boot configuration, (subject to other limits listed here for Windows 98, ME and 2000 and here for Windows XP), but you cannot CREATE one using the Format tool from within either Windows 2000 Professional or XP Professional. If you attempt to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32 GB, the format fails near the end of the process with the following error message: Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big.

http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides ... tems.shtml

From MS website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

I think you are confusing what is being said. And they are saying everything I did. Regardless if you're doing an install or booted to the OS, their tools don't support FAT32 partitions greater than 32gigs. They are saying that IF you need a volume greater than 32gigs, to use the NTFS system. OR you can use Win98 and FDisk(like I tried but my machine sucked) Even with a boot disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006/

• You cannot format a volume larger than 32 GB in size using the FAT32 file system in Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create one using the Format tool. This behavior is by design. If you need to create a volume larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system instead.

I'm not calling you a liar or anything. But I couldn't format anything over a 32gig partition. Once I deleted the 35gig partition I had, and created the 32gig MSV partition, it would finally format using FAT32.

I just formatted the Toshiba 80 gig hard drive to Fat 32 primary without any problem using Acronis Image under Vista ultimate.

I used Acronis to write the original image...I didn't know you could enlarge the MSV partition with it though.... :roll:

I don't think that you can do it wit Acronis IMAGE.

Use Acronis DISK DIRECTOR. -Sweet program for doing partition work from within Vista. :!::)