AVIC411.com

2008 Honda CR-V

I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2008 Honda CR-V EX. One of the factors is whether I can replace the factory stereo with a Pioneer AVIC-D3. Has anyone done this or know of anyone that has done this? I am also concerned that the steering wheel channel and volume controls will work after the stereo is replaced.

Just in case anyone was wondering...yes, I did think about purchasing a CR-V EX-L with factory installed Nav and XM. The only problem is that this higher end model costs about $5,000 more than the EX in my market. The $5,000 covers a lot of extras that I don't even want. So here I am looking for a cheaper alternative to getting raped by Honda. :D

Chris

Honestly, I would opt for OEM Nav in any new car if it was available. Sure it's a lot more money, but it's a lot more secure. You don't have to worry about anyone breakin in your shit and ripping apart your dash just for you HU. With the AVIC Dx's, there is no detachable face or security code feature. So any low life scum bag with a crowbar and a few buddies can have your $1000+ investment in under 10 minutes. Plus, the warranty on an OEM system is much better.

Everything will hook up, just remember what you are losing. We did a D2 in my father in laws 07. Looks good but he gave up the in dash 6 disc changer. But I understand the cost factor. Nav in my 05 Altima was a $3k option. No thanks.

Six disc changers are nice, but I have an iPod with all of my CDs on it. No need for a CD player at all. This is why the issue with keeping the DVD in the D3 to do navigation is fine with me. I will not use it for anything else anyway.

Thanks for the posts guys!

Chris

With the AVIC Dx's, there is no detachable face or security code feature.

the AVIC-D3 has the security code feature :wink:

Sweet! I didn't know that. But still, that won't stop a scum bag from takin it. He just won't be able to use it and you'll still have a fucked up dash. I am really nervous about mine. I wanted to claim it on my car insurance, but I think that would be pointless since I have a $1000 deductable.

• 5 months later...

Going to be installing one of these into my sister in laws 2008 CRV LX this weekend and wondering if anyone had the locations of the vss, reverse and illumination wires for this. I did my F250 last year and love it and this forum was a great source. I know that they redid the design for 2008, and figured these may have changed from the previous models.

Also the reason I asked about the illumination wire was in my truck I needed to tap that by the headlight switch because the one in the harness was reverse polarity from what the pioneer needed.

Thanks again for any help.