AVIC411.com

NO installer is ready to put ducatiboy circuit

Guest eu_phoria

Easiest thing to do would be to install the mod on the harness BEFORE giving it to the shop. They'll just think it's part of the device. Since ducatiboy kept the wiring the same colors the only thing they'll be confused about is the white input wire, either label it "illum" or get a highlighter or get some orange wire and fuse it to the white and tape off the white section so they can't see it, then tape it up all nice and neat and give it to them for install.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a GREAT idea. Best I have heard actually. Won't work with the places that won't install it unless you buy it from them, but it will work for all the other installers that maybe won't want to do the install, but would accept your box already purchased. Would a more experienced installer that has already done a few AVIC-Z1 installs notice the difference right away? What do you suppose would happen then?
[quote name="rapayn1"]That is a GREAT idea. Best I have heard actually. Won't work with the places that won't install it unless you buy it from them, but it will work for all the other installers that maybe won't want to do the install, but would accept your box already purchased. Would a more experienced installer that has already done a few AVIC-Z1 installs notice the difference right away? What do you suppose would happen then?[/quote]

Just tell him its an illum adapter for your car since your illum wire is pulsed and the unit wants constant.
[quote name="mivey"]If an installer will not put the flasher in (or atleast step aside for 5 minutes while you install it yourself), then they do not need your hard earned money. An option is to provide the installer with the directions for install without explaining what the circuit does (don't ask, don't tell policy).

As another option, you can have your installer label the 3 wires the flasher curcuit needs and make sure they are accessable from under the dash. The install is pretty simple, so you could just do it yourself after the shop is complete.

I would NEVER purchase and install the Z1 without the flasher circuit. Far too much functionality is disabled without it (phone and navigation).

One final thought: If a person's desire is to drive a car AND watch a movie at the same time, then they are being very inconsiderate of their own saftey and the saftey of all others too.[/quote]

well said....
As an installer myself it is the law for me to inform the customer of what the laws are in the state about video in the view of the driver. However on several occassions i have had the customer return after i am off the clock and would do the bypass on my own time so that way no one can blame the company...and then to cover myself i make the customer sing a paper releasing me from any responsability (which i believe should be available through any install shop)...so my advice would be just find an installer that has some free time on the side...give them a "tip" for thier troubles and be on your way....

P.S. Any installer worth his wieght would notice the harness had been altered. just get the shop to install it and then have someone on the side do the bypass. :shock:
Dude came up to Deptford and spoke with my installer (friend). Now he's having the BT, Ducati Flasher, and AVIC Z1 installed. He even worked out a plan for a protective cover mod...

Going to Tweeter, Circuit City et al is for people who don't know anybody...a true custom place will do the best work...it's like sitting with your financial advisor and mapping out a plan...
[quote name="euphoria"]yes tromar.... you were very helpful too. i did figure put a plan with the installer and now we are waiting to implement accordingly and lets see how it turns out to be. i will post pics later once its done thanks[/quote]

He was a little pissed at me when you left because we modified the install plan after he agreed to a price. Once we changed the config, he wanted to change the price but I told him to honor the agreement eventhough the request had changed...

You'll be happy with the outcome...plus, any problems you have will be address years from now...

Good luck.
I had my installer who refused to install the circuit, run the wires too the drivers side kick panel...the only question is, I think they installed the parking brake correctly, because video will only play with it down but flashing the lights works just fine...If I install the flasher as is will it work?
[quote name="stic2it"]I had my installer who refused to install the circuit, run the wires too the drivers side kick panel...the only question is, I think they installed the parking brake correctly, because video will only play with it down but flashing the lights works just fine...If I install the flasher as is will it work?[/quote]

Yes, it will work. As long as the parking brake is disengaged when you start the car. And if you engage the parking brake once the car is running, you will have to shut off the car, disengage the parking brake, and restart the car before the flasher will "work" again.
[quote name="guitar7272"]In NJ, it is illegal to have motion video playing on a screen in view of the driver. I had a small monitor that was no longer hooked up in my last truck and I couldnt even pass inspection until I removed the screen. They gave me a red rejected sticker and a month or two grace period to remove it.

I dont think, however, that it is illegal to have the navigation features unlocked; it's just a liability issue that no one wants to take responsibility for. Thank the lawyers and the greedy jackasses that take no responsibility for their own actions.[/quote]

Why wouldn't they pass you? The law in most states, as you stated above, is that you "cannot have motion video playing in the drivers view." You just had a screen, which is perfectly legal in any state, drivers view or not.
In NJ, it is illegal to have motion video playing on a screen in view of the driver. I had a small monitor that was no longer hooked up in my last truck and I couldnt even pass inspection until I removed the screen. They gave me a red rejected sticker and a month or two grace period to remove it.

I dont think, however, that it is illegal to have the navigation features unlocked; it's just a liability issue that no one wants to take responsibility for. Thank the lawyers and the greedy jackasses that take no responsibility for their own actions.[/quote]

Don't blame the lawyers, dude. They are doing their job. If Pioneer sold completely unlocked HUs, then fucktards would be trying to watch movies, play XBOX, or whatever while driving. Pioneer is protecting itself from liability. And assume that they did sell unlocked HUs... when fucktards did try to watch The Matrix or play HALO on the XBOX while driving, then Pioneer deserves to have the balls sued off of it for selling a dangerous product. That's the beauty of products liability law. By making a safety measure, no matter how easily bypassed (thanks, DucatiBoy!), Pioneer has thus covered its ass.
[quote name="thisiszachary"]That's the beauty of products liability law. By making a safety measure, no matter how easily bypassed (thanks, DucatiBoy!), Pioneer has thus covered its ass.[/quote]

Well yah, but what about my ass? I want to cover it as well. I'm happy to help all you guys out with this little circuit and all but I want to cover my ass as well. I'm hoping the disclaimer I ship with each one is enough.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="thisiszachary"]That's the beauty of products liability law. By making a safety measure, no matter how easily bypassed (thanks, DucatiBoy!), Pioneer has thus covered its ass.[/quote]

Well yah, but what about my ass? I want to cover it as well. I'm happy to help all you guys out with this little circuit and all but I want to cover my ass as well. I'm hoping the disclaimer I ship with each one is enough.[/quote]

Well, DucatiBoy, like any potentially dangerous product (and that term is used broadly, as most people wouldn't consider a navigation system as "potentially dangerous"), there are workarounds. If someone removes a speed governor from a car, or removes safety guards (or alters the "dead man's handle") from a lawnmower or other dangerous lawn equipment and then injures themselves, they (the end user) has no recourse to sue the manufacturer. The end user can't sue the manufacturer of the scissors, tools, or other methods of alteration used to remove the safety features. Once the end user has removed the safety features, he assumes all risks of injury. If I recall my first year torts course correctly, the user's alteration of the manufacturer's safety features is called a "superceding, intervening" event that the manufacturer cannot foresee. Of course, if the manufacturer could reasonably foresee the alteration, then that would be a different story, but that is for a jury to decide! :wink:

In other words, by incorporating a disclaimer on your product, you are relieving yourself of liability if someone purposely alters the original manufacturer's safety features.

[b]Of course, I'm not a lawyer (yet), and this cannot be construed as legal advice... merely the opinion of someone (a citizen-consumer) who is awaiting the results of the bar exam. [/b]