AVIC411.com

d3 hit or miss?

if you want a really good DEDICATED Navi unit,

then i would pass on a D3, because as a lot folks point out, it's good for it's price point.

the DVD has to be in to do almost anything.

it's counter intuitive (like REGISTER A LOCATION or something stupid means "save this location")

a Kenwood unit is supposed to have the GARMIN GPS software engine,

maybe double the price, but that sounds like what you would want.

another fellow on the Cummins forum has an external DVD changer for music and movies, and leaves the Nav Disc in the dash.

but i want LESS stuff in my truck, rather than more.

more junk = more problems.

the D3 is a good all around unit at an awesome price (i got mine from Crutchfield with all the adapters and a FREE back up camera for trailer hook ups)

but's it not an awesome Navi unit.

but it is cool :lol:

Basically it boils down to whether or no you've got money to throw around. If you can afford it, go with something else with memory navigation and better routing. If you're strapped for cash, or just can't see spending that much on a car stereo, go with the D3. It's a pretty simple concept.

if you want a really good DEDICATED Navi unit,

then i would pass on a D3, because as a lot folks point out, it's good for it's price point.

the DVD has to be in to do almost anything.

it's counter intuitive (like REGISTER A LOCATION or something stupid means "save this location")

a Kenwood unit is supposed to have the GARMIN GPS software engine,

maybe double the price, but that sounds like what you would want.

another fellow on the Cummins forum has an external DVD changer for music and movies, and leaves the Nav Disc in the dash.

but i want LESS stuff in my truck, rather than more.

more junk = more problems.

the D3 is a good all around unit at an awesome price (i got mine from Crutchfield with all the adapters and a FREE back up camera for trailer hook ups)

but's it not an awesome Navi unit.

but it is cool :lol:

Thank YOU! Finally...im sick of people bashing the D3 because they thought it was going to be this flawless In-dash navigation unit. If you wanted a GPS system, then spend half as much and get a garmin...or spend double and get an in dash system (Z2 or Alpine's w205 and blackbird thing). I LOVE MY D3. Its like, buying a tv from wal-mart and complaining that it only lasts for a year, or buying a used car from dude on the corner for a case of beer and realizing that it doesn't have a transmission in it