AVIC411.com

I'm on the verge of buying a pioneer unit, but have a question about the navigation that might make a difference in my decision. I currently use a Garmin c340 and for the most part, am happy with it. The maps are sometimes not up-to-date and it's not uncommon for establishments that exist to not show up on a search. However, that is a problem that I would think most gps systems share.

The question I have, for those of you that have used a garmin device, is whether the D3 is fairly comprable to it. Originally I was thinking that by going the D3 or Z2 route, I would end up with a better navigation unit. However, after reading many complaints on this board, I'm not so sure that is the case. While I would really like to get rid of my garmin and have an all-in-one deck (like the D3), I don't want to do it if I'm going to encounter navigation that is worse.

Most any AV+NAV unit you're going to buy isn't gonna be as good as a dedicated unit, especially a Garmin one. They make some of the best GPS units on the market.

The D3 does have it's shortcomings, but that's to be expected from integrating so many different features/functions into a unit for under a thousand dollars.

I've used Garmin, Magellan, and Tomtom along with my current D3 install... and all units have their faults. Common sense can get you through most problems with any of the units, and I've been very happy with my D3.

I guess it depends on which features you NEED to have, because I've been impressed with the Tomtom plus features on the unit I just bought my girlfriend for Christmas. Are there any certain features you are worried about losing with a switch?

I guess it depends on which features you NEED to have, because I've been impressed with the Tomtom plus features on the unit I just bought my girlfriend for Christmas. Are there any certain features you are worried about losing with a switch?

Probably the two most important features/aspects of a GPS that I need is the ability to re-calculate quickly. The Garmin is very good in re-calculating if you miss a turn. It makes it helpful when I want to try another route. The other feature/aspect of the unit that is a necessity is its accuracy. I've heard a lot of complaints about the D3 taking people the long way rather than direct. Although Garmin has its moments too, I'm pretty happy most of the time.

Take a look at the Kenwood DNX 7100 it uses Garmin nav. Check the other nav systems forum for some info . Pioneers nav is way behind Garmin and unlike TomTom or Garmin they don't try to improve it with updates (except for overpriced maps) . The rest of my Pioneer unit is great .

I was using a Magellan 4040 for the last 4 months before the Avic-D3. I personally found it had issues. Every gps seems to get confused in some areas.

I personally have had no issues with the D3's gps. As for recalculating it does take a little bit of time, say 15 seconds to recalculate from the time you miss the turn to when its actually saying, you missed your turn, turn around.

There are lots of benefits though really, from the stereo muting and it telling you in a very nice voice in detail where your going and the amount of time your getting there. In fact it says, your entering the freeway entrance on the right which I really didn't hear on the Magellan. I also owned a tomtom and a garmin.

Considering you don't have to watch it on your dash, the huge 6 inch screen and the fact it is apart of your stereo, I can't find any short falls.

But that isn't to say it doesn't have any. I personally have had that whole, turn here when there wasn't anywhere to turn before on the 400 dollar Magellan. It happens, just a confusing map or something.

Also, the navigation should essentially be a bit more accurate as it has the speed sensing cable where as the portable ones don't. So who knows, I like it though.