AVIC411.com

Navigation antenna stolen and scratch on navi

Hey the other day my car was broken into. The 2 guys that did it took the unit out of my car and left on the side of my driveway. The stole the gps antenna and left a 2 in scratch on the screen. I would rather not have to spent $60 on a new antenna and 51 to fix the screen. I love the unit but if it means doin such i will. But am just wonderin if there are any other suggestions. The crappy part is that alarm never went off. Something must have been faulty. Because after it happened i messed around w/ the car seeing if the alarm would go off if i opened door from inside and did not go off. Then after that opening the front door and hood. The alarm is aftermarket, the alarm is Viper. It sucks because no one was apprehended and i gotta fix my car out my my pocket because of someone else.

you can sometimes wax scratches out of plastic...

but i dunno about the LCD face.

FWIW, start with ~800 grit paper, then 1000, then 1200, (may try & keep it wet, maybe not possible on a D3)

then metal paste wax,

then regular car wax.

if the scratches won't come out with 800, start over with 600.

it's painful, but can be done on old plastic radio faces, like when we had removable faces, and they always got scratched real bad.

From the post, the scratch is on the screen itself. You do not want to sand any kind of screen, unless you wanna strain your eyes trying to look at a fuzzy picture.

yeah, but you can do wonders

it's basically "wet sanding" the plastic.

the old plastic faces would come 100% clear

like polishing yellow headlites.

it would give it a try before i popped 300 bones for a new screen.

cheaper get a new unit at that price point & new warranty,

Try to use rubbing compound, there are two kinds. Buy both (red & green)

(Turtle wax) You can get them in any auto part.

First rub on the red like wax, and work it on, then use the green one to smooth it out.

I use this on ipod’s, cellphones, wrist-watches, headlights.

yep. use the rubbing compound between the metal paste & the regular car wax.

you are basically just going from rough to smooth to fine to silky smooth.

Wet sanding is pretty much going to ruin the screen. It might get the scratch out, but the only way to get the wet sanding marks off the screen would be to polish it. Unfortunately, and LCD screen isn't meant to have a glossy finish on it, which is what you'd probably end up with if you went to town on it with some plastic polish. And even if you found some way to get the sanding marks off of it and get it back to the matte-like finish it originally had, I doubt it's ever going to look quite right.

I know it sucks, but you're probably going to have to get the screen replaced, man.