AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Under Dash

I am about to install my Z2 in a 2001 ML320. IF anyone has install tips for me, i would greatly appreciate it.

also..

OK, i ordered my Avic Z2, now i would like any info you guys have on installingthe GPS antennas uder the dash, where did you do it, does it work ok? how did you mount it?

i was thinking of just putting some silicone glue on the gps and sticking it to the bottom of the dash. seems simple enough.

thanks

lance

I think there's actually a MB under dash GPS antenna for the older SL models. But you should have a GPS/cellular antenna on your roof towards the back, can't you use that one? You might have to order splitter or something to make it work.

yea, i do have the antenna on the top, but it is a different adapter plug, and i don't know how to make an adapter myself for the different plugs. also, a splitter seems to be rather expensive for some reason. i originally wanted to use that antenna and put both the xm and nav off it.

cool, glad to hear it is working, how did you mount the antennas under there?

mine is mounted under the dash on my colorado and gets pretty strong signal strength.mine is mounte on the steel bar that is under the dash.most vehicles have a steel support bar under the dash.just stick it to the bar and check your signal.

Won't work.

GPS antenna need to have a clear view of the sky. (through glass is ok)

Wrong. I have three different vehicles with the nav and the XM antennas under the dash. You need two criteria to be met. There can be no metal above the antennas, and the antennas MUST be mounted to metal. You can cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the spot (the bigger the better...within reason of course) and glue or velcro the metal plate to whatever you want. Then the antennas will hold to the plate.

I have two Z2's. Both have the GPS and XM Antenna installed right next to one another just under the dash, close to the windshield.

The antenna's are magnetic, and in the box you will find a couple of square metal pieces. Many installers throw them away.

Be sure to attach these metal pieces to the bottom of the antenna's before mounting under the dash where in both of my vehicles it was just plastic. This will provide the antenna's with adequate ground plane.

Both of mine work great... If you don't have them, you can go to Office Depot, and purchase a 12 inch Metal Ruler. Cut the Ruler in half with some Tin Snips, and attach the antenna's to that ruler. That will provide a good ground plane as well.

I like the fact that I am not advertising I have a Nav System.

Good Luck with your install,

Keith

Atlanta, GA