AVIC411.com

Horrible Sound after Avic D3 install

I have a 2002 nissan maxima with Bose. I had the same exact problem, I just need to buy a pre-amp and then all of the sound was back and better. If you need the model and name I will get it for you, but you should definitely get the pre-amp and you will be all set.

I had my AVIC D3 connected to a factory Pioneer system that has a 228 watt AMP and 6 speakers plus a 10" sub. One installer told me that you can not connect any other deck to the factory Pioneer system, then another did, connecting the D3 straight to the AMP. The sound actually improved as I have more power, and better EQ ability now.

Take it back to your installer and have him check it out again.

I have speak level outputs to my GM External AMP pioneer System for my Cobalt. It sucks the installer gave you the car back, either without testing their work, or testing it and not caring if it worked at all.

Hey everyone

So I took the car yesterday to the installer and he changed the harness and re-wired everything. He said he did something 'old school' to make the pioneer and bose voltage work. After I insisted on asking him to tell me what exactly he did, he said that he can't tell me because he doesn't want people finding out but if I have any problems, I should go back to him. I found that quite odd because if I've paid you to work on my car, I deserve to know what you've done on it.

The sound is better than ever before so the trip was successful. I am sorry that I cannot tell you what he did; I'm sure all of you along with myself wanted to know what went wrong initially.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it

From what I've seen, 2 volts is more common. The line outputs are also singled-ended whereas the Bose wants a 4 volt balanced line (mine anyway). I tried driving my Bose with line outputs before someone here (superjet) recommended speaker outputs and there was no question which was the better. The maximum volume was very low and the noise floor with the line outputs was bad. I think the noise floor issue was because the Bose input harness uses unshielded twisted pair wiring which is good but only if the signal is a balanced (differential) pair otherwise is should be shielded.

The only issue with using the speaker outputs is that you can't crank the D3 volume up to 40. Maximum volume for mine is achieved at around 22 instead. Using a line output converter to attenuate the signal would fix that but it's not worth it - adds cost, complexity, another source for noise plus it's another box to find space for.

Ok, I have a problem where I get a hissing noise on my 2006 Nissan Altima. I'm using a harness (Metra 70-7551) that has the RCA inputs so I'm going off the D3's line output levels, not the speaker wires, since I also have the BOSE amp system. I get a powerful, clear, and loud sound, however, whenever the music is turned low, or someone is speaking and there's no background music, the hiss noise can be noticeable and annoying. Any ideas? thanks in advance!

Ok, I have a problem where I get a hissing noise on my 2006 Nissan Altima. I'm using a harness (Metra 70-7551) that has the RCA inputs so I'm going off the D3's line output levels, not the speaker wires, since I also have the BOSE amp system. I get a powerful, clear, and loud sound, however, whenever the music is turned low, or someone is speaking and there's no background music, the hiss noise can be noticeable and annoying. Any ideas? thanks in advance!

If you turn up the volume on a quiet section of music does the hissing get louder or stay the same? The D3 volume control goes to 0-40. When playing a typical CD, at what volume setting does it start to clip? I'm just trying to get an idea of how well the levels are matched between your D3 and the Bose amp. Did you do the install?

If you turn up the volume on a quiet section of music does the hissing get louder or stay the same? The D3 volume control goes to 0-40. When playing a typical CD, at what volume setting does it start to clip? I'm just trying to get an idea of how well the levels are matched between your D3 and the Bose amp. Did you do the install?

Thanks for your quick reply.

The hissing stays always the same once the car is turned on. In the ACC position there's no hissing. With a typical CD, and without the EQ, loudness, etc being ON, the volume can get to 40 without clipping, although it won't be really loud, but loud nonetheless.

Yes, I did the installation myself. I've been told that the voltage differential between the D3 (2 V) and the BOSE amp (>4V) shouldn't be causing noise problems.

Thanks for your help!

Apart from the hissing is the noise immunity pretty good then? Nothing related to engine rpm? Mine picked up quite a bit of annoying crap (ignition noise or maybe the VSS pulses) when I ran the Bose off the D3 line outputs. As far as I know all the Bose inputs are differential, so hooking a single-ended output to them is not ideal even if the levels are matched. Different vehicle though so maybe Nissan does it another way.

• 2 months later...

I have a question for the pros.... I have an 03 H2, installed the D3, had to use that harness so the chimes/onstar and all that will still work.... part of that harness uses 4 rca plugs, left/right, front/rear.... Anyways, a few things... the volume, even at 40 isnt as loud as it used to be.... Also, certain speakers will come on and off at random times.... It has the bose system, planning on swapping out the bose for new amp/speakers... but i dont know when yet... Any suggestions on why the speakers are coming and going and also about the volume thing? Anyone had experience with the H2's with Bose/Onstar harness and all that...?

I have a question for the pros.... I have an 03 H2, installed the D3, had to use that harness so the chimes/onstar and all that will still work.... part of that harness uses 4 rca plugs, left/right, front/rear.... Anyways, a few things... the volume, even at 40 isnt as loud as it used to be.... Also, certain speakers will come on and off at random times.... It has the bose system, planning on swapping out the bose for new amp/speakers... but i dont know when yet... Any suggestions on why the speakers are coming and going and also about the volume thing? Anyone had experience with the H2's with Bose/Onstar harness and all that...?

Since there's at least 4 different interfaces I know of for that vehicle, what's the model number of the one you used?

So it seems that the consensus here is that when installing a D3 with a Bose system, you are better off using the speaker level vs. RCA? Are there any issues with distortion when using speaker level?

Also, does this just apply to Nissan Bose systems or all Bose systems?

Most car manufacturers just buy the name "Bose", to put on their systems. Bose then checks out the system to see if it's up to par.

It's all 99% hype and marketing.

So in short, there is no standard between all the different Bose systems.

That is not 100% correct.

The headunit is the component that is not made by Bose and has just the name on it....and of course, they insure it is compatible with their amplifiers or vise versa.

That does not apply to the amplifiers and speakers.

So it seems that the consensus here is that when installing a D3 with a Bose system, you are better off using the speaker level vs. RCA? Are there any issues with distortion when using speaker level?

Also, does this just apply to Nissan Bose systems or all Bose systems?

Any confirmation on this?

Has anybody used this piece with the AVIC D3 and Bose?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fFiPufge0u ... ailed_info