AVIC411.com

Avic Z1 Does not Dim when Headlights are turned on...

I can't remember...is there a way you can turn that feature off with the Z1? I know in my Acura there are a couple of ways you can have it set so the display doesn't switch to night mode. I would have to look it up to see. If it doesn't have that capability....or if it does and it's set to "auto" or similar...then your answer is easy...you don't have an illumination feed hooked up to the Z1. Simple as that. However, what may not be simple is finding one that works. You need to find a feed that changes state when you turn on your dash lights. That could very well require finding a source on the switch itself in some applications. Many cars now modulate the ground to control dimness. Then you have to integrate everything into Ducatiboy's chip. (if you have one. You DO have one, right?)

by the way...does your Horse have the dash lights that you can change colors on? If so, I wonder if that has anything to do with the circuitry.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I can't remember...is there a way you can turn that feature off with the Z1? I know in my Acura there are a couple of ways you can have it set so the display doesn't switch to night mode. I would have to look it up to see. If it doesn't have that capability....or if it does and it's set to "auto" or similar...then your answer is easy...you don't have an illumination feed hooked up to the Z1. Simple as that. However, what may not be simple is finding one that works. You need to find a feed that changes state when you turn on your dash lights. That could very well require finding a source on the switch itself in some applications. Many cars now modulate the ground to control dimness. Then you have to integrate everything into Ducatiboy's chip. (if you have one. You DO have one, right?)

by the way...does your Horse have the dash lights that you can change colors on? If so, I wonder if that has anything to do with the circuitry.[/quote]

No I do not have Ducati Boys Switch... It sounds like it is pretty cool and good thing to have I would just wonder about the "install" of it and how difficult it is.

Also to answer your question about the "colors" yes it has Color changing capabilities but that is only for the "BackGround" for the Dash DIsplay.

Also I notice you have the Phoenix Banner that is where I am at as well. Nice to know another Phoenician is in the house.
[quote name="BMWJ17"]
No I do not have Ducati Boys Switch... It sounds like it is pretty cool and good thing to have I would just wonder about the "install" of it and how difficult it is. [/quote]

Ducatiboy's switch is really easy to install. If you installed your Z1 the switch will be nothing for you. And, you should really get it to realize the full potential of the Z1 in motion...highly recommended.
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name="bongus"] [quote name="BMWJ17"]
No I do not have Ducati Boys Switch... It sounds like it is pretty cool and good thing to have I would just wonder about the "install" of it and how difficult it is. [/quote]

Ducatiboy's switch is really easy to install. If you installed your Z1 the switch will be nothing for you. And, you should really get it to realize the full potential of the Z1 in motion...highly recommended.[/quote]

Think I will order Ducatiboys switch. However before I do that I would imagine I still have to figure out why in the hell it does not Dim when headlights are on. "Fricking Best Buy" I practically had to re-install the unit myself after I got it home. Anyhow any hlp that you could provide me on the "Dimming' situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
[quote name="BMWJ17"]Any input would be greatly appreciated I took the unit out and saw that the "Orange White" cable had not been hooked up by installer so I "Spliced" them together and still no dimming...... Thank you in advance for any input.[/quote]
What did you splice the orange-white wire (from the Z1) to? The orange-white in an adapter harness? I can't speak for certain about the Mustang but in my '06 Explorer Ford has changed from discrete wiring to CAN bus. All major modules, including the stock audio unit, communicate via a 2-wire network. There is NO illumination wire going to the audio unit, so the orange-white wire in the aftermarket harness adapter is useless.

In my case CircuitCity did the install (I got a great deal on the Z1 and free installation was included) and even though I told the installer that there was no illumination wire in the stock harness he just connected the 2 orange-white wires together like you did. I found a dimmer wire nearby going to the switch for the Information System. The smaller systems don't use the CAN bus since they don't have processors in them.

I suspect that your Stang also uses CAN bus so you will have to find a discrete illumination wire elsewhere.