AVIC411.com

CD-SR1 review

So I just got my CD-SR1 remote in the mail. I set it (and my hopes) up, and was so horribly let down I couldn't help but bash it on the forum.

I THOUGHT it was RF, but it's IR. A steering wheel remote that requires line-of-sight? What??! And the IR LED's are on the bottom, transmitting straight down. When mounted properly on the steering wheel, it misses about 8 of 10 commands during the day (because of ambient light I guess), and maybe 1 or 2 of 10 at night.

I THOUGHT there would be some way to switch between the nav screen and the A/V screen using the remote. There simply is not. At best, you can use the voice command button, wait for the beep, say "display A V Screen" and wait for it to process. RIDICULOUSLY more clumsy than just hitting the AV button on the face.

I THOUGHT you'd be able to use the remote to navigate the bluetooth Phone menu or make a call. Nope. You can GET to the phone menu by pressing "Phone Menu" but all it does is take you to the same bluetooth menu you get if you hold the Z1/Z2's main MENU button. "Okay, well, at least you didn't have to take your hands off the wheel" you say. Wrong, because once you're in the menu, you can't actually NAVIGATE it with the remote. lol

It's pretty much only useful for changing volume and tracks, and answering phone calls ... assuming it gets the IR signal. I gotta say I'm truly disappointed. The Z2 is an amazing head unit, with add ons that allow it to do pretty much ANYTHING you might expect. But this... damn, what a poorly thought out POS. :cry:

Wow Inferno - you just answered a question i've been having for about 2 weeks now. I mounted the remote on the left side of my steering wheel - the Toyota 4Runner has a perfect little hole for it, it almost seems like it was thought out that way.. But many times it doesn't work - UNLESS I TURN THE WHEEL SO IT IS CLOSE TO THE HEAD UNIT!!!!! I had no idea that this is because its a line of site remote... Bummer - I was going to get a new battery hoping it was a weak battery sending a weak signal, but now i'm just gonna be bummed. The weird thing is that sometimes it does work when the wheel is pointing straight ahead and the remote is on the far left side of the wheel.. I'm wondering why it will work sometimes and not other times when the wheel is in the exact same position. Oh well...

P.S. the steering wheel has the identical hole on the right side, but I can't put the remote there because it would be blocking view of the cruise control which shows through the right side hole.

he weird thing is that sometimes it does work when the wheel is pointing straight ahead and the remote is on the far left side of the wheel.. I'm wondering why it will work sometimes and not other times when the wheel is in the exact same position.

Same reason you can point your TV's remote control at the wall behind you on the couch and it still works - the IR light bounces around and sometimes gets picked up by the receiver. My hunch is that's specifically why they decided to "blast" the signal out the bottom with two LED's -- stronger, better path to bounce light off of. Still, should have been RF for sure.

On a side note, if you want to see the IR LED's in action, get a digital camera (cell-phone camera works fine) and "watch" the remote with the camera as you press buttons. The camera's CCD can see IR light so you'll see the LED's light up on screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I almost didn't buy this remote because of this thread, but decided $25 wasn't a lot to experiment with. I hate having to take my eyes off the road, reach over and hit the touch screen. Most of the time, I miss the voice command button or the hangup button and move the map. Anyway, I got the remote and mounted it, AS DIRECTED, on the steering wheel closest to my Z1. It works perfectly! I have not had a single problem with it. I don't have to take my eyes off the road, and I can skip songs in the library I don't like rather than listen to them just because it's too incovenient to reach over and hit the button on the Z-1. Same thing for answering the phone, etc. I love this thing.

Now, I noticed there are 2 different remote, both with the same CD-SR1 monicor. One is all black, and has a single, wide band that goes around the steering wheel. Mine is black, but has some colors for different funtions, and has 2 thin bands that go around the steering wheel. They both are configured differently. Maybe the other one doesn't work as good as mine?

Chris

Mine is black, but has some colors for different funtions, and has 2 thin bands that go around the steering wheel. They both are configured differently. Maybe the other one doesn't work as good as mine?

That's the one I have too -- the one that's actually specifically for the Z series. Mine's mounted "as directed" too, buddy. lol I have tried several mounting positions and it seems to make little difference. The signal is sent over IR (See it yourself with a digital camera) and will never have true line of sight.

Most of the time, when when not too much sunlight is flooding my car, it works fine. And yes, it is nice not having to reach over and aim for whichever button. I'm not throwing it away or anything, just saying it's not 100% reliable and doesn't offer as much control as you might think. =\

Man...that sounds like a POS...The only thing I would like, is the voice command button. I can pretty much do everything I need with my steering wheel controls(SWIPS) BUT the voice command...And with day to day driving, I usually like to have the vehicle dynamics screen up....in which there is no VC button...and requires me to either change to map view, or AV screen....

Does the VC button even work on the vehicle dynamics screen? I'm assuming that you can just use it like a regular remote(and point it to the IR sensor on the Z2). and not on the steering wheel?

Inferno I would have to agree. The remote just plane SUCKS. I can't even get a couple of the buttons to work at all - one is the voice command button. Now with the directional buttons I have to literately smash down on the button for it to work. Problem with that is I have to hold the back of the remote when i do that so it doesn't slide around on my wheel. Seriously this thing is a pos and it now resides in my glovebox collecting dust. O and if its sunny outside - forget about it, this damn thing only worked at night....

I noticed there are 2 different remote, both with the same CD-SR1 monicor. One is all black, and has a single, wide band that goes around the steering wheel. Mine is black, but has some colors for different funtions, and has 2 thin bands that go around the steering wheel.

Ya know, I thought I'd help clear your confusion on that, BTW.

There are actually three similar Steering wheel remotes, and they are NOT monikered the same. The problem is vendors use the wrong picture. Do a search for CD-SR1 and a lot of what you find are pictures of the CD-SR11 on sales pages for CD-Sr1's. Pioneer's own website confirms:

CD-SR1

Made for Z series (2 straps, color phone icons):

298177924CD-SR1_med@H.jpg

CD-SR11

Made for D and N series (2 straps, no color icons)

(same remote as included in CD-VC1 Voice Command Pack):

267491663CD-SR11.jpg

CD-SR100

Older remote, made for non-AVIC systems.

PIOCDSR100.jpg

Well I'll be damn. My remote is behind door number 2! It appears I have the CD-SR11.

Both the CD-SR1 and CD-SR11 have different operation modes, which change the button functions depending on which head unit you're trying to control. Here's a snip from your operation manual. Maybe it'll help you out?

CD-SR11_OperationModes.JPG

They also both transmit with the same power (Wavelength 940 nm ± 50 nm and Output typ;14 mw/sr per Infrared LED (2 LEDs used)), so if there's a signal problem, it's not that your is weaker.

Oh, and Dawgbone,

The IR transmitters are on the bottom of the remote, so it works poorly as a handheld remote (unless you hold it turned around in your hand ;) )

I have to admit, you guys are really a wealth of knowledge. When I said AS DIRECTED, I was referring to someone who said they mounted it on the left side of the steering wheel...or did I read that wrong?

Anyway, it was really sunny today and the remote still worked like a charm. Maybe it will bomb out in the summer...we'll see. But right now, I'm loving it. I played with it all day. I do agree that it tends to want to slip around the steering wheel, and will probably get worse in the hot weather. Again, we'll see. But I don't find it a problem holding the other side with my other fingers. Still a lot more convenient (for me) than leaning over. I also agree that having a bottom transmitter was a bad idea.

Thanks for clearing up the different remotes. I'm glad I lucked out and ordered the right one.

Hey, has anyone noticed if you wear polaroid sunglasses, the screen is practically unreadable? I wear orange tinted, and I have to take them off to see the screen.

Last thing...I finally read about adjusting the tilt, up and down. Isn't it cool the way it goes back to flush when you turn off the car, and then back to the tilt when you start it?

Too bad the maps suck.

Chris

Hey, has anyone noticed if you wear polaroid sunglasses, the screen is practically unreadable? I wear orange tinted, and I have to take them off to see the screen.

Last thing...I finally read about adjusting the tilt, up and down. Isn't it cool the way it goes back to flush when you turn off the car, and then back to the tilt when you start it?

Too bad the maps suck.

Chris

it's that way with any LCD screen with "Polarized" sunglasses....Alot of the marine GPS systems have recently figured out a way to make it viewable...My guess is that they are actually making the LCD's sideways....try it, tilt your head sideways, then you should be able to see the LCD...

I actually don't really care for the screen tilting back in when I turn off the car...I kinda wish it would stay, as I think it's what causes it to wear and eventually start to rattle when going over bumps or when the bass hits...at least mine rattles...and I haven't really had it for very long...

OK, so first you got me with the incorrect spelling of moniker, and now (and I can't BELIEVE I said this) POLAROID sunglasses. YIKES! This just shows I should never try to compose anything on my way to bed. Thanks again for all the input on this, and thanks for the corrections. Sheesh! I feel like such a bonehead.

Chris :oops: