AVIC411.com

Best TV tuner for z1

I was asking the install shop where I got my Z-2 about TV tuners, and they steered me away from one.. They said they have never had a customer who wasn't somewhat disappointed with the reception and picture of any TV tuner - and you can only get channels 2 thru 13.. Has anybody used a tuner that they are happy with?

Or a better question might be - Are any of you unhappy/disappointed with your TV tuner - and if so, what kind is it, and why don't you like it???

I was asking the install shop where I got my Z-2 about TV tuners, and they steered me away from one.. They said they have never had a customer who wasn't somewhat disappointed with the reception and picture of any TV tuner - and you can only get channels 2 thru 13.. Has anybody used a tuner that they are happy with?

Or a better question might be - Are any of you unhappy/disappointed with your TV tuner - and if so, what kind is it, and why don't you like it???

I am happy with my pioneer tv tuner you get channels 2 - 69. It comes in handy when you are sitting in a parking lot waiting for the wife. Sometimes I like the television announcers better than the guys doing the game on radio (the bears play by play guys are worse than the team) and yes I listen to the news on my way home from work. I know it will be useless in a year but I will have enjoyed it for the years I had it.

I wrote to Pioneer the other day asking about when they were going to have a replacement ATSC digital TV tuner for the AVIC-Z1 AVIC-Z2 line and they told me that the AVIC-Z1 was old or an older unit (duh!!) and that they no longer make TV tuners for navigation systems. Doesn't sound too promising for those of us looking to get crystal clear and sharp digital TV images inside of our vehicles. I too have the Pioneer TV tuner for my AVIC-Z1. It works great. I get in my area channels, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 20, 24, 32, 45, 50, 54, 67. Nothing better than watching the evening news in your vehicle while you are stuck doing 0MPH in rush hour traffic coming home, or watching Good Morning America, the Today show or whatever, on your way to work when caught in bad traffic. Not a good idea when going 55+MPH, but not a big deal in my humble opinion when barely moving at all while stuck on 295 here in Maryland/D.C. or 695 or 95, 270, 32, or 29.

I wonder if it will be possible to use the ATSC to NTSC converter boxes to still keep using our Pioneer TV tuners. If we bury the converter box somewhere under the seat or in the trunk and run the cables out from that into the back of the NTSC tuner, would we still be able to tune to say channel 11 and get the digital ATSC 11.1 channel?

Finally, I agree with Bobmun, that one of the best uses of the TV tuner in my SUV is that while I run my wife around for various errands, I can sit in my truck and watch the football, baseball or basketball game in the parking lot of the mall or whatever store that I do not want to be in.

You could use the convertor box the way you are thinking, but there would be some issuses. The good news: if the box has A/V outputs, you wouldn't need to have a regular (NTSC) TV tuner - just feed it thru an A/V input.

The bad news:

1. No control thru the headunit - tuning done in convertor, not TV (like a cable or sat box)

2. Need good antenna

3. Power supply

I know of an aftermarket van conversion company that has been putting home HDTV's (23", 26" & 32"!!!) in their vans for 2+ years. Guy I talk to there says when they started testing them, they received better than the older NTSC-only sets - similar range, better picture. This I understand because with digital, you'll either get it or you won't.

Any limo or van conversion guys lurking here - anybody else try anything like this yet?[/b][/u]

Yes, It's highly doubtfull that you will be able to use just a DTV converter box, unless you are sitting still and using some sort of large powerfull bulky antenna...

With the current 8-bit VSB broadcast system now in place, it requires that you have a very strong signal and that also the signal be direct.

In a weak analog signal situation being mobile you would just experiece weak snowy images and a bit distorted sound, however with trying to recieve OTA digital broadcast while being mobile you will experience image pixelization and loss of sound wich then takes the reciever a bit of time to recover from once a strong signal is available again.

Due to this and several other challenges that arise with trying to receive OTA DTV signals while mobile it will take a little longer before we see a true mobile TV reciever that will be able to lock onto one channel and maintain reception while being mobile.

There are a few companies like Microsoft experimenting with the vestigial side band (VSB) modulation system for digital transmission and many of them are having very good results, so it most likely it won't be too long before we have mobile TV available on evey type of personal mobile devices immaginable.

I experimented with trying to recieving digital TV on a near coastal ship using a converter box and the results was constant blanking of the screen and sound.

If XM and Sirius satellite radio work well on our cars, trucks and SUVs, and now supposedly TracVision satellite (DirecTV) works. Then why is it looking like it is going to be so hard for a manufacturer to come out with a ATSC digital tuner for use here in the United States to be used in our vehicles? I would prefer that free OTA method than to pay DirecTV or TracVision a monthly satellite bill. My cable bill is enough as it is. I'm in the house more than I am in my vehicle. So, the 8 to 12 local free channels is more than enough for me to enjoy while waiting to pick someone up from the train station, airport, shopping mall, etc.