AVIC411.com

Poor routing, out of date data

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="murzik"] [quote]It can take up to 500 miles for the 3D hybrid to calibrate. The eta became much more accurate after it did [/quote]

After more then 1000 miles, I see no improvements.[/quote]

I'm genuinely curious as to why so many are having routing issues...I realize I sound like a fan-boy but I honestly have had zero problems with this unit. Perhaps that I live in a major city helps but I've read about people in chicago having problems as well. Are all of you tapping your VSS wires as well? I drove from my door step in Virginia to my cousins doorstep in Toronto Canada without one wrong turn...

However hearing so many having routing problems, even in big cities like Chicago makes me wonder if there is something we are doing differently? I've never seen such mixed reviews on a product...people seem to either love the routing on this or hate it. It's been dead-on for me however.
Of course, VSS wire is connected, Vehicle Dynamics display works well. However, you might not have problem with route from Virginia to Toronto Canada because there is not many option I guess only few highways, But in big city it is more complicated. In addition, I don’t see unit to be really learning, because every day I use one route from my work to my home. and every day navigation gives me route at least 6-7 miles longer then I use with shortest time at least 15 minutes more then I get with my own route and all off this happens on 12 miles – 30 minutes way.
I will try to exchange my unit, but I not sure this will help, it look to me like maps it self are not good, may be with wrong speed limits posted. Problems with POI are definitely maps issue.
Of course, VSS wire is connected, Vehicle Dynamics display works well. However, you might not have problem with route from Virginia to Toronto Canada because there is not many option I guess only few highways, But in big city it is more complicated. In addition, I don’t see unit to be really learning, because every day I use one route from my work to my home. and every day navigation gives me route at least 6-7 miles longer then I use with shortest time at least 15 minutes more then I get with my own route and all off this happens on 12 miles – 30 minutes way.
I will try to exchange my unit, but I not sure this will help, it look to me like maps it self are not good, may be with wrong speed limits posted. Problems with POI are definitely maps issue.
[quote name="murzik"]Of course, VSS wire is connected, Vehicle Dynamics display works well. However, you might not have problem with route from Virginia to Toronto Canada because there is not many option I guess only few highways, But in big city it is more complicated. In addition, I don’t see unit to be really learning, because every day I use one route from my work to my home. and every day navigation gives me route at least 6-7 miles longer then I use with shortest time at least 15 minutes more then I get with my own route and all off this happens on 12 miles – 30 minutes way.
I will try to exchange my unit, but I not sure this will help, it look to me like maps it self are not good, may be with wrong speed limits posted. Problems with POI are definitely maps issue.[/quote]

I drive through DC on a regular basis and drove through baltimore last week, both big cities, without one missed turn. Thats why I am wondering if we are doing something differently.
[quote] I drive through DC on a regular basis and drove through baltimore last week, both big cities, without one missed turn. Thats why I am wondering if we are doing something differently.[/quote]

Have you checked any of your routes with yahoo maps or different navigation device?
I must to admit that Pioneer will get you to your destination, but how efficient will be your route.
I wish I know if I am doing something different. I went through all setting many times, got ETA kind of fixed adjusting local speed limits. But have no luck to have “short” route to be really short and efficient. :cry:
[quote name="HeavenSoldier"]Anyone tried calling pioneer about and seeing what they say? Ask about update info too. God Bless[/quote]

I called pioneer today and they seemed oblivious to the problem. Someone was supposed to call me back today but I haven't heard from him yet. Don't want to seund too negative here, but I'm not really counting on Pioneer to admit that they may have screwed up. I was, after all, one of the first people to buy this product.

Talk about mixed reviews. How does someone get a better calibration after 500+ miles while someone else gets their routing problems fixed buy simply replacing the unit? Something's not right here.

Yes, I did compare the routing with both mapquest and my old garmin 2650 (which cost me about 1200 less btw). Case in point: I plotted a route from my house to a local Home Depot. Both the Garmin and Mapquest calculated the distance to be 9.5 miles and the time to be 16 minutes. The Z1 calculate the same route, but calculated the route to be 8.9 miles and 23 minutes.That's a time difference of seven minutes or roughly 40% for the same route.
[quote name="murzik"] [quote] I drive through DC on a regular basis and drove through baltimore last week, both big cities, without one missed turn. Thats why I am wondering if we are doing something differently.[/quote]

Have you checked any of your routes with yahoo maps or different navigation device?
I must to admit that Pioneer will get you to your destination, but how efficient will be your route.
I wish I know if I am doing something different. I went through all setting many times, got ETA kind of fixed adjusting local speed limits. But have no luck to have “short” route to be really short and efficient. :cry:[/quote]

For the ones in DC and Baltimore yes, I had mapquest and mapblast backups, plus I know much of the routes in DC.

Have you guys adjusted your average speeds in the options menu? I tweaked mine, specifically my highway speed, a bit higher than the default. I doubt this has impact on the routing but it probably affects the time estimate. I did find the time estimates to be higher than the actual travel time, but I don't consider this to be poor routing, I consider it to be poor estimating.
Guest Guest
First of all, I don't think it routes better after more mileage on the nav, it just learns to route more according to your driving habits over the same or similar route. If you clear all your learning history it would start from scratch. Changing the virtual speed will definitely impact the ETA since that is what it bases its calculation on. Given all maps and routing software are identical, if one unit routes differently than the other, there must be a problem on the harddisk (not taking learning history into consideration), but would the problem be slight enough that you would not get any error message at all?
Guest guest
May be there are truely defective units in some cases but installation erros in others? Mine has a manufactured date of March 06. I was not impressed about the routing the first week or 2, but as I use it more now, I'm beginning to think it is not too bad. eg. For those who know Berkeley, I was going to Haste street on University from 80, it told me to turn right on San Pablo, but I just kept going staight because I'd rather go all the way to the end of University and take Oxford. As soon as I cross San Pablo without turning, the route changed to go straight on University. It did not ask me to turn right at every intersaction, it only told me to turn right at oxford. I have another PocketPC GPS that would keep telling me to turn right at every chance it got. BTW, that was the first time I went on that route, so it is not from routing history. All GPS and maps have faults, but they should all work fairly good to a certain degree. But if your unit tells you something totally rediculous (as far as route calculation goes), then may be you have a defective unit. But if it does not know where you are, check your antenna or instalation. But keep in mind that civilian GPS are not perfect.....