AVIC411.com

Poor routing, out of date data

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Z1 for 2 week and can say navigation part is useless. Maps are outdated. Rouitung just ridiculous. I have tomtom 5 instaled on my DELL x50, pioneer is not even close. I used to have many navigation units with
different software, AVIC has worse routing I have ever seen.
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

I got the first Z1 in LA and posted the "Welcome to the Future" post on CNET. Now that my orgasmic introduction has subsided, here are my thoughts on it after having it for 2 months.

Having to burn regular CD's is one of the more stupid things Pioneer could have done.

Not reading ID3 tags and relying solely on CDDB pisses me off to now end when loading these cd's, because you have to type manually each track artist/title. Now I just put one artist per CD to save type time. However, the compression isn't really noticable. I can only assume a dog wrote the CNET post about how 'awful' the compression is, because human ears don't notice it. Feel free to tell me which song has the most noticable compression and I'll test it.

For the cost of this unit, I could have purchased a Macbook Pro.

The Map features are 96% accurate. However, on my first big road trip, the Nav unit didn't realize that some nimrod in Nevada decided to tear up an interstate (215) and the Z1 got completely screwed up. It did, however, bypass me around some gnarly jams prior to that major screwup.

Hey pioneer, here's an idea. When you realize that some roads no longer exist, how about putting out an update.

XM works great - would be nice if you have more than 6 preset channels per band.

Nav Traffic works ok.

I really hate the Hard Drive limitations.
I have also seen a few routing issues compared to other navigation systems that I have used. TomTom has been the best so far in my opinion however none of the systems I have used were perfect either. With the Z1, routing issues near my home are not really a big deal to me. I simply drive the route that I know and eventually the system will adjust. The learning mode has even adjusted to my daily commute route. As for areas that I am not familiar with, at least I can be pretty confident that I will get there. The maps seem to be pretty accurate. At least here in Tampa they do. Even the POI database has the new address for one of my favorite restaurants that moved only about a year ago.

I do not use the hard drive at all for music. My entire music collection travels with me on a 60gb Ipod. As others have stated the Ipod adapter is slow but it is nothing I can't live with. I generally search in such a manner to limit my scrolling. For example I search by genre first as opposed to going directly to artists or album search. And of course playlists can help a lot.

Like others have stated I hope that Pioneer does provide updates to this unit for both the navigation database and the unit itself.
[quote name="Anonymous"]I have also seen a few routing issues compared to other navigation systems that I have used. TomTom has been the best so far in my opinion however none of the systems I have used were perfect either. With the Z1, routing issues near my home are not really a big deal to me. I simply drive the route that I know and eventually the system will adjust. The learning mode has even adjusted to my daily commute route. As for areas that I am not familiar with, at least I can be pretty confident that I will get there. The maps seem to be pretty accurate. At least here in Tampa they do. Even the POI database has the new address for one of my favorite restaurants that moved only about a year ago.

I do not use the hard drive at all for music. My entire music collection travels with me on a 60gb Ipod. As others have stated the Ipod adapter is slow but it is nothing I can't live with. I generally search in such a manner to limit my scrolling. For example I search by genre first as opposed to going directly to artists or album search. And of course playlists can help a lot.

Like others have stated I hope that Pioneer does provide updates to this unit for both the navigation database and the unit itself.[/quote]

This was my post.... I forgot to log in!
Yea I gotta be honest the routing on this unit is pretty bad. It wants to route me about four miles out of the way to go to one of my favorite eateries. On another trip it insisted my destination was three blocks away from its actual location. And on another trip it wanted me to drive through a gated community.

Well I didn't buy it for the navigation -- so this is mostly an irritation rather than a critical problem. Still Pioneer needs to fix this thing.
[quote name="rontbeamer"]Yea I gotta be honest the routing on this unit is pretty bad. It wants to route me about four miles out of the way to go to one of my favorite eateries. On another trip it insisted my destination was three blocks away from its actual location. And on another trip it wanted me to drive through a gated community.

Well I didn't buy it for the navigation -- so this is mostly an irritation rather than a critical problem. Still Pioneer needs to fix this thing.[/quote]

Well the main reason I'm getting it is because of the navigation, so they need to fix this. Anyone call them and ask them when a update is coming out soon? I'm getting it probaly at the end of fall, so a update should be out by then.
I am in Chicago area. Every other route is wrong. Most of the POI shows on wrong side of the street.. Short route is never really short. Sometimes navigation just takes you off major road and then in a few blocks returns you back. Estimated time of arrival usually is way off reality. Especially I like when 0.5 miles ETA is about 5-7 minutes. TomTom does not have any of these problems
Did you have your unit replaced through pioneer or through the store you purchased it from? I am getting pretty fed up with the routing on mine. I drove down to Key West this weekend and it tried to send me 300 miles down surface streets instead of driving 5 miles west to I-95. I put in a waypoint at the nearest i-95 onramp and it sent me 20 - 30 minutes north to get on 95. This has been a constant problem, it wants to use us-1 for everything.
I think either it has some kind of incorrect data about US-1, maybe the speed limit or the number of intersections. It is the straightest line between most places on the east coast of florida so I can understand it showing up if you search for the shortest route but it is insane that it shows up in the fastest route.[/i]
[quote name="solrackm"]I think there is a problem with some of the units concerning the software.I had the same problem on my first unit with the ridiculous routing schemes,The unit was replaced and the routing is a whole lot better now.[/quote]

Did your routing problem really seem to go away after you got your unit replaced? I was testing the routing driving around my area for like 4 hours today and found the routing to be pitiful... This is the 3rd gps I've owned and I've never had any units that had me scratching my head like this one. It seems to miss obvious exits, and had me driving in circles. The estimated time is invariably overstated, even when I select fastest route and adjust the road speed settings (like 55 mph for small roads, 65mph for ordinary roads, and 90mph for freeways!!!!). It does seem to "adjust" to the time of arrival as you get close to the destination...but that kind of defeats the point doesn't it? I had the unit professionally installed by a very experienced installer. The antenna is mounted right on the front windshield. For the 3000 grand I paid to get this in my car, I expected a lot better performance than this!!!! Should I go back to my installer and ask for another one? I would love for that to fix this problem!!! I would appreciate any insight.
It can take up to 500 miles for the 3D hybrid to calibrate. The eta became much more accurate after it did

[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="solrackm"]I think there is a problem with some of the units concerning the software.I had the same problem on my first unit with the ridiculous routing schemes,The unit was replaced and the routing is a whole lot better now.[/quote]

Did your routing problem really seem to go away after you got your unit replaced? I was testing the routing driving around my area for like 4 hours today and found the routing to be pitiful... This is the 3rd gps I've owned and I've never had any units that had me scratching my head like this one. It seems to miss obvious exits, and had me driving in circles. The estimated time is invariably overstated, even when I select fastest route and adjust the road speed settings (like 55 mph for small roads, 65mph for ordinary roads, and 90mph for freeways!!!!). It does seem to "adjust" to the time of arrival as you get close to the destination...but that kind of defeats the point doesn't it? I had the unit professionally installed by a very experienced installer. The antenna is mounted right on the front windshield. For the 3000 grand I paid to get this in my car, I expected a lot better performance than this!!!! Should I go back to my installer and ask for another one? I would love for that to fix this problem!!! I would appreciate any insight.[/quote]