AVIC411.com

Poor routing, out of date data

They're number is in the manual, I heard the products were re-called though. I've seen a bunch a good reviews and two bad ones so far(why would I not get it because of two bad reviews), but I'm not getting it until the fall, hopefully it will be better then. Unless something else comes out, i heard a new eclipse or kenwood was coming out? Also I just like in-dash players better. But don't e-mail pioneer they probaly will not respond to your question by e-mail. Call them at the number and see what they say, especially why certain units are being re-called. But back to the magellan go here I bet there has to be some bad reviews [url=http://reviews.cnet.com/Magellan_RoadMate_700/4852-3430_7-30588536.html?tag=uolst]http://reviews.cnet.com/Magellan_RoadMa ... ?tag=uolst[/url]

God Bless
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, the Magellan isn't perfect I own two and have had problems with both. But, they are great at simple navigation and route better than anything. The point was a comparison, I could have pointed the results with mapquest, streets and trips and tomtom which I have all used agree with Magellan but not Z1.
Yeah make sure you check where the antenna is mounted too, but anyways I can't buy the avic z1 from crutchfield anyway, it's sold out. I believe they stop because like I said, I heard it was being re-called. I'm in Florida too, so I will really need it in the cities you visited like Orlando, or Jacksonville. I want to install the navtraffic, rear view camera, and passenger dvd head units, but I hope everything with the z1 get's worked out. I hope you didn't buy it from ebay. God Bless
[quote name="NYRngrs24"]HeavenSoldier -

i heard about the recall you mentioned. I read it in some car audio forum, I dont know what the recall is about, but i heard about a recall too.[/quote]

Yeah that's where I heard it from lol (that audio forum), so who knows if it is true or not. Maybe crutchfield just sold out.
Yes when it comes to my Porsche i would not do anything that would jeopardize the internal computer. The reason I am not as concerned about the speed variation is the VSS only outputs signals which the Z1 reads. The faster you go the higher the voltage output is. The Z1 interprets the signal strength and attempts to calculate your speed using the gps. The Z1 manual even states that there could be variations between this and the car but always trust the cars speedo. In 996 Porsches, the stock radio utilizes the VSS and you can set the volume to increase depending on how fast you go. So i'm only tapping into a wire thats already there.

Again, the navigation isnt the best but personally i dont think MapQuest or MS Mappoint are that good either. But they will all eventually get you there or close to it. It does recalculate your routes if you do decide to take a different route. And according the the manual, the smart navigation of this sysytem will save this information and use it next time youre in the area. i still have yet to fully test this feature. I dont think any nav unit could be better than human judgement and intuition. And i think of the routes givin using any computer software only as an opinion.

I think the unit looks the best in the industry right now and between the graphics and ability to add pictures allows everyone to customize it to their liking. But my main appeal is the fact that its an all-in unit. Its like ever since the Treo came out i only have to carry 1 device for my phone, calendar, mindless games on the plane, etc. And as a cell phone it does not have the best sound quality but its enough to communicate with it. I dont have much space in my Porsche and this unit is self contained. I dont have to install another brain under the seat or connect another dvd player just for navigation or even a cd changer. This even has a built in eq so you can change your listening settings. I can load my music on the hard drive so i dont have to carry my cd case. I can attach my ipod and control it from the unit so i'm not looking at my small ipod screen to find music. I can go on and on with the features...

Bottom line is... if you are looking at this for purely navigation purposes, i would not spend $2k on this. If you like technology and new gadgets this is an ultimate all-in-one gadget for your car.

[quote name="MChance000"]My speed is off from anywhere between 4 and 6 miles per hour my car says 70 but the GPS shows 64. But, not only is it different that the GPS, it is no longer accurate period. This I can't live with. You are right the unit looks good, and certainly it is better to look good than feel good. But, when it comes to my Porsche I can't live with speedometer error AND poor nav. Guess I can look cool with it installed and bring my Magellan 700 for proper speed and nav.

[/quote]
My question is, if you dont know where your going to the point that you have to use navigation, how do you know that there is a better route to take? If I was lost , I would be glad to find my way even if it took 30 min. longer. But does your OTHER GPS play dvds, stores 100+ cds in the harddrive, have bluetooth, 11 millon P.O.I.. or even look as good. If you are looking for a unit like the Z1 you will never be happy, because there does not exist one that is perfect in every single aspect! There is always something better out there. [/quote]
Right navigation is for places you don't know about. Pioneer AVIC uses navtec right, or teleatlas something like that? Whatever it is I believe it's the same thing mapquest uses. When I put directions into [url=http://www.mapquest.com]http://www.mapquest.com[/url] they give me the correct route, but they always for some reason take me a long route to my destination where I could have taken a short cut and gotten then in a short amount of time. So it's probaly the same with the z1, but the z1 will learn your shortcuts and apply them to your routes next time. God Bless.
Ironically mine kept trying to get me to go to the Interstate which was about 1 mile longer for the trip (5 miles total) and the navtraffic unit thought it was congested too...

[quote name="JasonH"]I agree with the navigation. When I hit the go to school button, my D1 wants to go down a major street with stop lights every block instead of driving a extra few miles and getting on the interstate. it does however get the correct route if I hit the next button and go to route #2.
However, Car Navigation in general is a very new concept, we are the "early adopters" and have to adjust our criticism accordingly. New concepts are never perfect.

The speedometer error, I believe was caused by poor installation. They could have a bad connection on the wire, there could be noise or interference somehow leaking into the wire, but from my experience with places like Best Buy, they just cut the wire, wrap the 2, or 3 together, and tape it. This causes a bad connection and could very well lead to your inaccurate speedometer.[/quote]
Mchance, I read in the other thread where you were complaining about the avic always using US 1. The same thing happens to me, it seems to think that taking us 1 300 miles south to key west is a suitable alternative to 95 or the turnpike. Any time I head south it wants to take me to US 1 instead of 95. This morning I noticed that it didnt have the "new" bridge that connects palm beach airport to 95, and the way it wanted to take was slower than the temporary method they used for 3 or 4 years.
Now, I live a few miles east of 95, and 95 does that crazy jog to the west just south of me so in a perfect world US 1 would be faster/shorter aside from the fact you will have to stop at hundreds of traffic lights and drive at 1/2 to 1/4 the speed.

I understand what its trying to do though, and this thing does learn the routes you like to take. I guess the question is, when you actually need it, will it take you on a route thats way out of the way.
When I actually needed it it did route me incorrectly. And not because it 'learned' a bad route from me. You can't even select the proper route on I95, all the choices have at least some US1, which is totally wrong.
I returned the unit earlier today and will be using with my Magellan 700 which uses a different and more reliable nav data set and superior, in my opinion, algorithms.

[quote name="Anonymous"]Mchance, I read in the other thread where you were complaining about the avic always using US 1. The same thing happens to me, it seems to think that taking us 1 300 miles south to key west is a suitable alternative to 95 or the turnpike. Any time I head south it wants to take me to US 1 instead of 95. This morning I noticed that it didnt have the "new" bridge that connects palm beach airport to 95, and the way it wanted to take was slower than the temporary method they used for 3 or 4 years.
Now, I live a few miles east of 95, and 95 does that crazy jog to the west just south of me so in a perfect world US 1 would be faster/shorter aside from the fact you will have to stop at hundreds of traffic lights and drive at 1/2 to 1/4 the speed.

I understand what its trying to do though, and this thing does learn the routes you like to take. I guess the question is, when you actually need it, will it take you on a route thats way out of the way.[/quote]