AVIC411.com

Custom Anti-Theft faceplate

After giving this more thought, I...

1. ...added $1000 in aftermarket stereo coverage via Geico. Cost me $15/6mos.

2. ...am working on a faux cover utilizing a photo of the old OEM stereo, a thin piece of cardboard, and an apple juice bottle cap. I plan to put the photo on the cardboard, cutting the lines for the buttons so that they don't appear flat like the photo, and gluing the apple juice bottle cap, painted flat-black, onto the "faceplate." The bottle cap will make it look like the OEM radio dial and add some depth to the whole thing.

When peeking in the tinted windows, it will appear just like a stock radio...i think. I might even photoshop some sort of antitheft message into the picture on the screen of the old radio...or maybe just a red bright security light.

There is enough room on all sides of the HU to allow folds to fit nicely between the HU and the dash kit. I'll have to make one concession, though, and allow the D3's volume knob to poke through the picture. Luckily, it's small enough to go unnoticed.

Lastly, to hold it in place in case the folds don't work, I can use an old MP3 interface cable to connect to the D3 through the faux faceplate. Just need to make sure the other end of the cable is visible to onlookers just in case they think I may have left the MP3 player in the car.

When this plan comes to fruition, I'll post the end result.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if it's too late... But I did this with my truck... Used a stock Ranger XL deck and glued in all the buttons behind it and used magnets in the corners of the bezel where the faceplate would snap in and put them inside the faceplate as well... Hope you like it!

(I know I need to paint my bezel, it's next lol)

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How about a little sticky that says "Stealing this unit is futile. It is password protected !"

My favorite is the faux 'seat cushion'

1. Take a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut it to the shape of your seat base.

2. Drill 2-3 dozen 1 1/2" deck screws into the board

3. Flip the board over and loosly cover the points with polyfill

4. Cover your pillow with any kind of cloth, naugahyde, vinyl

Put that sucker in your seat at night and when the theiving deadbeat tries to help himself/herself you your AVIC ....

OUCH ! ... and you have a DNA sample !

BOO YAH SHACKA !

How about a little sticky that says "Stealing this unit is futile. It is password protected !"

My favorite is the faux 'seat cushion'

1. Take a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut it to the shape of your seat base.

2. Drill 2-3 dozen 1 1/2" deck screws into the board

3. Flip the board over and loosly cover the points with polyfill

4. Cover your pillow with any kind of cloth, naugahyde, vinyl

Put that sucker in your seat at night and when the theiving deadbeat tries to help himself/herself you your AVIC ....

OUCH ! ... and you have a DNA sample !

BOO YAH SHACKA !

already thought of somethin like that...i put razor blades on the bottom of my sub box in my old s10...imagine 60 lbs of pressure pushing a razor into ur fingers :twisted:

problem with doing something like that is believe it or not if they get injured they can sue you. i heard soemthing a while back where some1 tried breaking into a house via chimney, and fell/hurt himself...he sued the home owners and won.