AVIC411.com

Has anyone installed their D3 on their own?

Just wondering. I have been installing car audio for a while on my own, but never a nav unit. Guy at the store told me it can be a pain, so I'm just wondering if he is trying to make some extra cash off me or if he is being straight up. Anyone? Anything in particular I should be concerned with? Thanks in advance.

It's the same as any other head unit installation. The only extra steps are hooking up the GPS antenna, vehicle speed sensor wire, reverse signal wire, and the parking brake wire (or bypass if you want). It's really a lot easier that you may think.

And there are add-on modules, like XM radio tuner, bluetooth, etc... but installing those isn't any different that with a standard head unit. Plus you didn't mention anything about that.

I just put mine in an 89 Mustang convertible on Sunday 2/24,only thing that took a while was undoing the previous radios harness/connections, stripping the wires,and finding suitable grounds. But everything,including the bypass,worked perfectly the first time out. (OK,I lied-when I first booted up,the nav system thought I was in Los Angeles,and I'm in Pittsburgh...minor detail,lol) I put the previous radio in this as well and echo the earlier post,there is a fair bit of wires to tuck once installed. But should be a snap,if you've ever done a standard radio before.

I just received my AVIC D3x package from Crutchfield today and will be installing myself. That came with the BlueTooth kit, and an iPod cable, which I'll resell, as I don't use an iPod and have no intention of ever getting one. I also got the Terk XMDirect unit, but after reading about it here, I decided to get the Pioneer 920XM tuner instead...that should be coming tomorrow, with the steering wheel controls. This is going into a 2006 Impala SS, so I had to get the Chime/OnStar module, too.

This install seems intimidating, but I think I can handle it. I'd have to guess that tapping into the reverse and speed signal, and getting the steering wheel controls situated would be the hardest parts (just getting to them). Aside from that, fitting all this **** behind & under the dash would be my next issue.

Wish me luck! :lol:

I literally just finished my install in my 2001 Ford Escape. Holy balls. I didn't realize what a pain it was going to be to get it into the dash opening. No wonder Crutchfield said it doesn't fit.

It fits, and it actually fits really well inside the trim on that part of the dash, however getting it into the actual opening through the vinyl part of the dash was a nightmare. I had to cut, check, cut, check again, cut some more... ugh. A zip saw would have been nice, but I can't complain about a nice sharp leatherman either...

Other than that, connections were a breeze, GPS antenna was easy to locate and run the cable, Ipod connection has got to be the easiest thing in the world. I didn't get the bluetooth, but I may in the future, I just need to find a place to stash the module.

I say go for it, but do some research on your vehicle first.

just installed it 2 26 2008. took about 2 hours, i got to install everything but the vss wire and the reverse wire... i am not sure if the 2006-2007 altima is the same as the 2002 nissan altima which i have. i may need to consult someone about those two wires... also i may need to do some custom work to cover the gap surrounding the stereo. any ideas?? anyone installed avic d3 in a 2002 nissan altima or similar??

I completed the HU install last night. With the GMOS chime/OS module, it made install much easier. Did all of the connections in the house, went to the car, pulled the old one out and put the D3 in...easy as pie. The VSS and reverse signal wasn't an issue b/c the GMOS module does that for you.

Now I have to pull it out and do the BT, XM, and SWC over the next coupla days.

Good luck!

I completed the HU install last night. With the GMOS chime/OS module, it made install much easier. Did all of the connections in the house, went to the car, pulled the old one out and put the D3 in...easy as pie. The VSS and reverse signal wasn't an issue b/c the GMOS module does that for you.

Now I have to pull it out and do the BT, XM, and SWC over the next coupla days.

Good luck!